ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
The biggest problem with frequency changes on most of these old units will be finding a source for the correct pulley, unless you happen to have machine-shop facilities to make one, of course. [Linked Image]

Yup, my first big Dual brand record player had such a strobe light too.

Not the Dual 505 by any chance?

Parts of Western Australia were. In these areas, the generating plant had been obtained from South Africa. Some of the radio manufacturers in Australia did make 40 cycle models.

Ah, with the Commonwealth as it was in those days, I expect that was Garrard's main intended market for 40Hz versions then. By the way, I've always been something of a lover of Garrard turntables. Were they very common down under?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-05-2006).]

C
cowabbi Offline OP
Hey Pauluk
the most common everyday turntables were BSR all major manufacturers used to use their various models however garrard was deemed in the 60s at least to be superior and therefore were used in more expensive machines. They had a laboratory series which claimed to have a much more stable motor and also a bigger idler wheel so as to reduce wow , flutter ,etc these units were more expensive than most others and were called the audiophile series.
In the very late 60s and early 70s the duals from germany became the favourite with most local hi fi manufacturers

R
Hi Cowabbi,
I had a look in my old akai X201D reel to reel tape deck which has a 50/60 hz option.
besides 100/110/120/200/220/240 volts ac in.

There is a lever which actually changes the belt to the different size pulleys on the main motor and flywheel drive to allowe for that. This deck has an ac motor for the capstan drive and two directly driven spindles for the reels. The extra loading on the motor is minimal with the frequency change.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
A
There is a lever which actually changes the belt to the different size pulleys on the main motor and flywheel drive to allow for that.
My Akai X150D also has that feature, along with multiple mains voltage inputs.
By the way, I've always been something of a lover of Garrard turntables. Were they very common down under?
They certainly were, along with BSR and Collaro, you'd find these in virtually all radiograms/portable record players up until the 1970's. Philips however used their own turntable which is a good example of a good idea but mechanically flimsy parts.

P
however garrard was deemed in the 60s at least to be superior and therefore were used in more expensive machines.
They certainly were, along with BSR and Collaro, you'd find these in virtually all radiograms/portable record players up until the 1970's.

Pretty much the same as in Britain then. BSR decks were used in most of the cheaper-end machines, like portable "Dansettes," with Collaro and Garrard in the more upmarket models.

I know that at one time the classic Garrard 301 transcription turntable was used by the BBC (that was just the turntable -- a seperate tone arm had to be fitted).

T
Not the Dual 505 by any chance?
No, Dual 721. Late 70ies model I guess. If I read the code on the manual correctly it was printed in 1976.

P
Ah, O.K., I was just wondering. I'm not familiar with that Dual model, although I'd probably recognize it if I saw it.

By the way, Thorens was also popular here in the high-end market.

T
It's a high-end model with an intimidating number of controls and screws for fine tuning the arm and everything... typical 70ies dark brown wood veneer case.

C
cowabbi Offline OP
hello all......my rca record player is working fine and i decided to go with the inverter idea....however i have noise in the amp even tho ive replaced the filter caps.
any ideas how to get rid of it ?????
maybe higher value caps??????
what say you
kind regards

C
Try iron core filter chokes.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard