ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 536 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
2P+E 240V, used widely in industry for general-purpose single-phase loads, and the 16A version is virtually universal for campsite electrical hookups for RVs and travel trailers
Yes, the 16A version here is a universal connector here as far as caravans and holiday parks that serve them are concerned.
It is a requirement here that you have a standard 10m lead with your caravan here, withe preferably IEC 309 connectors at both ends (Caravan end would have a female connector), feeding into an appliance inlet.
Here is the sort of thing that is usual for connecting into at the caravan site:

[Linked Image]

30mA leakage current trip level.

{Message edited to change 10mA to 30mA}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-21-2005).]

P
Here is the sort of thing that is usual for connecting into at the caravan site:

10mA leakage current trip level.

Similar units can be found here, although quite often a pedestal will share the RCD between two or three outlets to reduce costs.

The trip level is usually the normal 30mA here though.

(They're blaiming mainland european practice for their overkill regulations - yet I don't think very many Mainland European countries actually enforce anything quite so strict

I don;t know about anywhere else, but certainly in France they don't seem to use IEC309 for all outdoor stuff. Even campsite hookups can be just a box with a normal domestic-type outlet inside.

then again there are parts of the west of ireland where it can rain horizontally for 7 days

I prepared myself for that sort of thing when heading west. I then spent a couple of days in Co. Galway and it was bright sunshine and about 80 degrees! [Linked Image]

Where as TLC charges a couple of pounds for a 16A plug, over here they go for anywhere between $30-80
Gold-plated shell and platinum contacts? [Linked Image]

I wonder if this is because they've not been around so long in the States? Any idea when IEC309 was first introduced over there?

Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry Paul,
That should have been 30mA, not the 10mA that I stated above.
10mA is reserved for Electro-Medical Installations here.

I
I wonder if this is because they've not been around so long in the States? Any idea when IEC309 was first introduced over there?
I don't know when they were introduced in the states exactly. But, I do remeber seeing them for at least the last 10 to 12 years. So they arent really that new. ????
I think that, unlike in Europe, it is probably because the goverment has not required thier exclusve use oudoors.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 10-25-2005).]

T
They're only required for caravans here, Residential outdoor installations use Schuko with spring loaded lids (rated IP 44). Red CEE are available everywhere since they're the only 3ph plug (apart from very old flat plugs that have been absolutely banned for some time).
At school some machinery has purple 24V 2 pin CEE plugs.

I
[qoute] Red CEE are available everywhere since they're the only 3ph plug [/qoute]

Perhaps I was mistaken on the outdoors req. I think that they are required in Ireland. I know that min the UK they are required at construction sites.
Here in the states we have many diferent configurations to use for three phase power (locking ie.Twist Lock being the most common, see my link above)

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 10-26-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard