ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 469 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kiwi,
We are probably quite lucky down here as far as inter-connecting generators is concerned.
We don't have the problem where if the power goes out in the winter, people just blindly back-feed thier switch-boards, like has occured a time or two in the US.
One question though, is it acceptable to have a seperately derived generator feed into a small part of a house, where that part of the house is fed through a transfer switch?.
I'm talking the generator feeds that section, through an appliance inlet, PDL IP56 job, and the genny is mounted on a concrete pad, with a cage over it, to prevent un-authorised starting of the said generator.
A local guy here wants to be able to keep his 3 freezers going in the event of loss of supply, he keeps deer velvet in them.
Any drop in temperature would ruin the velvet.
He want's to know if this is feasable?.
What I want to know is if I need to drive an earth stake and/or bond the Neutral at the genny frame.
Losing a freezer load of velvet is like losing NZ$100,000, if not more in one shot, it will only tolerate a temperature rise of 5C from -15C, once frozen.
Any ideas??.

K
kiwi Offline OP
Trumpy, a transfer switch should never let the supply be connected to the auxilliary supply.

In N.Z. I don't think its possible to connect a generator to the grid without a transfer switch unless a suicide lead is used.

Not to say that it doesn't happen though !

Kiwi,
a transfer switch should never let the supply be connected to the auxilliary supply.
Granted mate.
Instead of a transfer switch, I was thinking a pair of contactors, mains failure opens the main circuit to the freezers, closes the secondary supply (12V coil), also having an alarm contact that closes, to alert the owner to start the generator, fed from a 12V SLA cell, kept charged from the usual 230V supply?.

K
kiwi Offline OP
Trumpy, I think a pair of contactors does constitute a transfer switch.

Motorised circuit breakers are a more reliable method though as the contactors require a constantly energised coil which can fail unexpectedly.

R
The generators we use have motorised circuitbreakers.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard