ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14387 09/21/02 09:19 PM
M
Question;

When installing temporary lights and 120V 20A temporary receptacles in a building for use during construction is the wire feeding either the lights or the receptacles required to be GFCI protected?

Here is the situation.

A temporary panel was set fed by a permanent feeder.

12-2 NMC is fed from the panel to some temporary receptacles. The first receptacle is a GFCI which is connected so as to protect the ones after it.

12-2 NMC is also fed from the temporary panel to a permanent lighting circuit with temporary pigtail sockets w/cages.

The way it was explained to me years ago, is the purpose of the GFCI protection is not only to protect personel from harm resulting from damaged extension cords and equipment but also damaged or "pinched" temporary wiring, such as the 12-2. This is also why temporary wiring must be in the form of a cable assembly and not single conductors as it was in the past.

What do you guys think?

#14388 09/21/02 11:09 PM
B
I’m not sure if this adequately answers your question, but that situation seems like it could become a bit of a double-edged sword.

In some areas, rules for temporary wiring specifically state that, "NM cable shall not be used as a extension cord,” and some industrial-safety inspectors interpret that to apply to any wiring serving construction loads, even if it should later be intended to become permanent wiring. GFCI protection has another use—to protect against shock from contact with broken-bulb filaments, even though the lamps are "caged."

#14389 09/22/02 02:05 AM
S
The listed/approved temporary lighting kits we use come in 100' lengths,and have 20 caged lamp bases. we use flying joints. We are not required to have them GFCI protected, but they must have overcurrent protection of course.The receptacles are GFCI protected.
homemade temporary lighting is a pain in the %$#, these temporary lightning rolls can be used again, because the code allows no junction boxes on them , so you can just cut them down :0
My 2 cents are free [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 09-22-2002).]

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
#14390 09/22/02 10:32 AM
M
If it helps any... the NMC is for temporary use only and will be removed as the permanent wiring is put in place and energized.

I am also aware that even the permanent wiring cannot be used for power during construction unless it is GFCI protected.(not necessarily the wiring in this case but definately any 120V receptacles)

Being that I am no longer the boss, I cannot control how temporary wiring is installed or used. I do feel that even the wiring should be GFCI protected but am not sure.

Please keep the responses coming.

#14391 09/22/02 10:44 PM
I think there is an OSHA regulation that requires GFI protection on the temporary wiring circuit (to protect the conductors) and that it's also to sense a problem with the neutral conductor.

Someone must know the specifics, and if my above thoughts are fact.

HotLine1
John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard