ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
French plugs are specially designed to collapse into a pankake of junk if trodden on, (or, in fact, used at all.)

If you're talking about LeGrand, yeah....they're junk.

I had one where I pushed it into the socket and one of the pins collapsed right into the plastic shell. [Linked Image]

T
Had that too... even with a pretty heavy duty looking rubber plug! Don't remember any brand though, and it was Schuko.

Alan, your humor is incredible! I'm still trying to get up from rolling on the floor... thanks a lot!

It's common here to pull the plug on something and bring with it the receptacle, the box, a tangle of wires and choc-blocks and with a large chunk of plasterboard attached.
Well, that's not too uncommon with Schuko either... at least where cheap boxes and receptacles were used. The clamps don't tend to hold up too well, especially if the box isn't plastered in securely and widens under pressure. But well... we're halfways in the balcans here... I'm used to it! Just push it back into the wall again...

S
Ragnar said:

Had that too... even with a pretty heavy duty looking rubber plug!

Well the one that "went cripple" on me, was one of Legrand's parallel flat-pin American variety (made in Mexico).....maybe I was unlucky?

First time I had ever seen that happen! [Linked Image]

It's not like we're known for the sturdiest plugs in the world.

Paul,
There's one other danger with BS1363 as anyone from the U.K. and Ireland will tell you. The plugs are darned unforgiving when you step on the upturned pins while fumbling your way out of the bedroom in semi-darkness! Ouch
Believe me Paul, you haven't lived until you've stood on the pins of a side-entry Aus/NZ plug with a bare foot, the earth pin being longer than the Phase and Neutral pins, makes it hurt all that much more. [Linked Image]

T
There's something else... all Schuko outlets I've used so far look a lot more substantial and take up more space in the box than anything else I've ever wired, that is French, Italian, Swiss, BS1363. Judging by the pictures I've seen NEMA sockets seem to come close to Schuko.
Of course some cheap Schuko outlets are pretty flimsy too, but it's just weird only to have a cover plate with some flimsy looking guts permanently fastened to it... Even the equally deep recessed French outlets take up much less space inside the box (I installed a few Czech receptacles since we have a house very close to the border).

Dave,
It seems that this guy has been to Aussie as well:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
... and people have the cheek to laugh at and/or send ill-worded emails re my trusty travel adapter !

M.

p.s. maybe it's because I've revealed there is 240V available in most US hotels rooms?

A
maybe it's because I've revealed there is 240V available in most US hotels rooms?

If I was travelling to the US, rather than take a step up transformer, I'd make an adaptor consisting of an Australian extension cord socket fitted with two long wires; each connecting to the live pin of a US plug (use polarised or 3 pin plugs). The idea is that you insert the two US plugs into GPO's around the room in a random manner until you found two on separate phases; ie. 240V. If you needed an earth then one of the plugs would need to be 3 pin and the relevant connection made to the 240v socket.
I wouldn't recommend this for non technical users....if an appliance was plugged into this adaptor and turned on before with only one 120V plug inserted, then a shock could be received by touching the other, non inserted plug.

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 10-20-2005).]

S
Aussie, you're much better off (and safer) with a transformer.

There are no guarantees that you will have two separate phases in the same room where you're staying.

With any luck, you could be stuck in a room with only one available wall socket. Then what do you do? [Linked Image]

A
With any luck, you could be stuck in a room with only one available wall socket. Then what do you do?

Try the light sockets next [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard