ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 34 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jamesnz Offline OP
Thanks alan. Trumpy, Those photos reminded me of back in the mid seventies when I did a similar floor heating installation, one of the first of its type, and the element was copper sheathed,similar to Pyrotenax cabling.
I remember that it worked well but for how long I do not know as I went abroad not long after.

Kiwi2
James,
Where are you in New Zealand?.
I hope you aren't from Canterbury, like Kiwi and PaulusGnome and myself.
Be nice to have a North Island perspective on things here.
As long as it isn't Auckland!. Grrr [Linked Image]
Believe me mate, there is more than enough collective wisdom to solve the toughest of dilemma's here.
Keep coming back, we like that. [Linked Image]

P
I can't say I've ever installed one of these heating systems, but as I work on new builds only rarely, that's not surprising.

Underfloor heating was popular in the U.K. for a time in the late 1960s/early 1970s, but fell out of favor.

When used with solid concrete floors, it also suffers from the same sort of problem as storage heaters -- Difficult to predict temperature and to control. That's a big point in the English climate where day-to-day weather can be very unpredictable.

J
Jamesnz Offline OP
Trumpy.... From the good old Bay of Plenty. born in Rotorua and now living in Tauranga, Semi Retired I like to call myself these days.I agree re Auckland but I must admit I got a really good apprenticeship with an all round Electrical Engineering firm in Parnell. Believe it or not Auckland still had DC power generated from Kings Wharf in those ancient days. ( You should have seen the arcing and carry on with the clapper typ contactors in the Lift rooms ! No heating needed !
Kiwi2

Kiwi2
Thanks for that James,
So you're in Winston country? [Linked Image]
BTW, that Pyro heating element wouldn't have lasted long being buried in concrete.
I'd be even more worried about lightning with a thing like that under the floor, especially considering that the power would have come in by Overhead reticulation back then.
The underfloor heating system would have just about made the ideal Earth mat. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard