ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 374 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
I went to test the wiring when I finished and found out that the wire at the switchboard and the wire at the Earth stake, were two different bits of wire. <https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/eek.gif>

[Linked Image]

I found a similar situation a couple of years ago. The homeowner was doing his own rewiring but wanted me to install a new MCB panel to replace the old rewireable-fuse and ELCB combination.

When I tested the earth I found, er, no earth. Traced the cable back to where is disappeared into the cavity where he'd built a new brick shell around the original outer wall.

I couldn't find where that cable ran, but he eventually confessed that when he was building it was in the way so..........He just cut through it! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

T
A friend of mine just had a look at a newly (or at least within the last 10 years) renovated attic apartment (finished attic, a big thing in the cities here to get more expensive living space without building new houses, even heavily subsidized by the cities). Rather new panel, quality breakers (Made in Austria), GFI, everything. The test button on the GFI didn't do anything. Took off the cover and, for some reason, started tracing the main ground wire. Flex conduit in drywall cavity. Pulled on the wire... 10 cm came out... 20... 50... and after one metre of wire the ground was over... the original installer just didn't hook it up to anything...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard