ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Have any of you guys used an ac insulation resistance tester?

regards

lyle dunn
Yes lyle,
I use one every once in a while here.
I take it that you are talking about a Hi-Pot test (or Dielectric Withstand Test), as opposed to the plain-vanilla DC Insulation Resistance test?.

L
Yes Trumpy, thanks for the reply.
I know that they are required for dielectric testing of certain products and electrical systems. An output of 3750vac even though current limited is not appropriate in the wrong hands.
What I wanted to know was if these instruments had a place in the field rather than in the production line lab.

regards

lyle dunn
C
Way back in the last century, (ok 12 years ago) I had to use such a beast as part of the portable appliance testing regime where I worked. Output as you say, up to 3750 volts AC, current limited to 5/10/15 mA, selected by a switch, with a deeply recessed "operate" button so it couldn't be energized accidentally. I agree they should only be used by competent persons trained in the dangers of high voltage.
With a probe carrying that kind of voltage, you could do a lot of damage to some kinds of electronic devices. But it helped pick up deteriorating insulation on double insulated tools and appliances, so yes, I believe they do have a place in the field, just a very narrowly defined one.

Lyle,
We have a 20kV model here at the PoCo, it's used for flash testing HV cables, transformers and switch-gear, as well as the odd suspect bushing insulator.
I agree fully with yourself and Chipmunk, 3.75kV is not the sort of cat you want to let out of the bag, these voltages are lethal with the most minute of current levels. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard