ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#143107 05/10/05 06:09 AM
K
kiwi Offline OP
Hi Marcspages. Insulated bars & testing tap-offs with removable covers are a great idea but unfortunately would triple the cost of a CT chamber, and Electrical Engineering Consultants always have one eye on the money and don't consider making safe provisions for power analysis testing without a shut-down later on.

I guess the Metering CT chamber is an obvious choice for live power analysis meaurement when a shut-down is inconvenient

I can imagine how putting clamps & croc clips on bare bars could be very nerve-racking. I would wear a welding helmet and a thick pair of rubber gloves.

The OSH rules in NZ forbid persons working on or in the vicinity of live parts. Unless there is an approved procedure in place to minimise risk of injury etc.

So unless their is a CT chamber with properly shielded testing points, the main switch should be off while you connect your test leads. This may mean that you have to get up in the middle of the night to do the shut-down, but its still preferable to attaching leads to bare live bars. Fault currents are very high at CT busbars and one tiny mistake can cause a big bang.
Also you can charge more for "after-hours work".

#143108 05/10/05 12:16 PM
M
Kiwi,

"Sir, I need to throw the big switch on your bank's data centre while I connect my PQ recorder". Yeah, right!

In actual fact, I have only had one client (oh yes, it was a bank too!) to date who would not let me connect live - to their detriment! Before I could connect up the kit at the next scheduled shutdown, they lost their data centre because of a set of loosening busbar bolts (something the PQ survey would have picked up).

Strangely, I don't get the shivers with open busbars. It's more for the cowboys I've seen in action. I'm more than happy to work live to 690VAC (or thereabouts - I get vertigo at 1kV).

But I ramble, the whole purpose was merely a ha'penny thought should it influence someone to put in reasonably costed testing facilities for our modern power-hungry world!

Marc.

#143109 05/10/05 12:37 PM
C
It's a sad fact that people who are not electrically qualified can say 'no you can't shut that down' [Linked Image]

My answer would probably be seen as confrontational, but it does make a point. That would be "It can't be shut down? Oh good, that means you have it on a UPS right?" *CLUNK*... [Linked Image]

#143110 05/11/05 07:35 AM
P
That would be "It can't be shut down? Oh good, that means you have it on a UPS right?" *CLUNK*... [Linked Image]

Good one! [Linked Image] It does make you wonder how many of these "can't be interrupted" supplies do have a UPS backup though, doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-11-2005).]

#143111 05/11/05 04:36 PM
C
There are occasions where this wouldn't apply.
Namely: In a hospital or place where there was other medical equipment, in any place where the other guy's bigger than me, and if the breaker/switch was on the output side of a large UPS, that just ends up making you look like a doofus [Linked Image]

#143112 05/12/05 04:32 AM
That's a rather good point Paul.
For those people that have installations that "Can't be shut off", it is up to them to have a back-up power supply system.
I've heard just about all of the various excuses as to why the power must stay on and I haven't heard any that are convincing enough yet.
kiwi,
Just a little note about "Inspectors".
I was talking to a Power Company Inspector at work the other day and he said that the term "Electrical Inspector" doesn't have the same meaning as what it did before 1992.
He said that to even get an Inspectors Licence, is so simple it's not funny these days, considering that you only have to have 3 years qualifying experience and sit an exam to get there.
When he did his, you had to have 15 years qualifying experience as a Registered Electrician, hold Advanced Trade Certificate
and sit a 4 hour written exam.
He also said that a lot of the newer Inspectors these days gave inconsistant rulings on various work, often picking up little things, but leaving out serious safety issues.

#143113 05/17/05 05:51 AM
K
kiwi Offline OP
Excellent point Chipmunk ! Often, an unplanned shutdown is the best way of testing the health of auxillary and emergency electrical services in a large building. Managers who get twitchy over unplanned shutdowns always change their opinion when they find that the emergency lights in the stairwell did'nt start or that the airconditioning did'nt restart.

I believe that working on live equipment is to be avoided or at least undertaken in controlled situations where the risks are minimised to ridiculously low levels. We have all been obliged to work in live situations at one time or another to make the corporate budget, and we have all seen the results of the accidents.

I think the safe testing tap-offs for main switches that Marcspages longs for are the answer. Now someone just needs to convince the bean-counters and they can start specifying this in their designs.

Trumpy I had no idea that it was three years experience required for Inspectors. Jeez that means that you could spend three years drilling holes as an apprentice then another three after your registration wiring cottages then the next day your an Inspector certifying a 2400A central supply for a shopping mall. An extreme example I know, but I think it highlights the pitfalls of NZs electricity deregulation.

#143114 05/24/05 06:28 PM
Finally an answer, from Bill:

The Regulations are still the main driver for safety, have not been replaced
by standards and are law. A number of the ECPs were replaced by AS/NZS 3000
and companion standards. Reg 69A calls up and mandates those relevant bits
of AS/NZS 3000.

In reference to your technical enquiry you are correct, an enclosure that
requires the use of a tool to access live parts would be deemed to be
electrically safe and meet reg 94(c) and also AS/NZS 3000 cl.1.7.3.4.2.

I can see no requirement in the regs or standard for the additional plastic
shield. In fact if this was not made of the appropriate fire resistant
material it may introduce another hazard. The CT chamber may be an
engineered design to the relevant switchboard standard and passed those
tests in accordance with that standard.

I would assume that this is a commercial or industrial installation and
there is virtually no risk of unauthorised persons unscrewing covers on
switchboards.
Hope that this helps. [Linked Image]

#143115 06/08/05 05:29 AM
K
kiwi Offline OP
Thanks for that reply Trumpy. It confirms that the way CT chambers are constructed in the industry right now is compliant. No drastic (expensive) changes are required.

I see the EWRB has issued an email today announcing that they have struck a deal with Standards New Zealand to make standards documents, referenced in the Regs, available online.

Guess I'll have to take back my comments on "government officials not helping Joe Sparky" now!

Shucks !

#143116 06/08/05 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info kiwi! [Linked Image]
I see the EWRB has issued an email today announcing that they have struck a deal with Standards New Zealand to make standards documents, referenced in the Regs, available online
So does that mean that we won't have to fork out huge amounts of our hard-earned money to get the standards we need?.
Did the e-mail state which standards would be offered?.

Cheers mate. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard