ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Since coming back, I have realized that most of the newer laws enacted in the UK are a complete joke. The inspection/approval routine *WORKS* in countries like the US and Canada, where they have the correct offices in place and so forth. The UK government seems to think it's Jean-Luc Picard, "Make it so". Sorry, doesn't work that way, I won't be paying someone else to replace kitchen light switches and outlets for a LONG time. Think Hades and subzero temperatures:-)
[edited for post script]
P.S. This is not a total rejection of part P. It should be capable of stopping Mr. I.N.Competent from running extensions to ring circuits using zip cable and the like, which would be A Good Thing[tm]. They merely need to redefine "competent person" to mean "anyone who has paid £20 once to have a piece of work inspected and the inspector found it to be non-hazardous"... What do you guys think of that idea? Would there be any objection to paying an inspector's wage for 1 hour, once, in order to have your workmanship assessed?

[This message has been edited by chipmunk (edited 04-20-2005).]

Now guys,
I can't comment too much on this subject as I am very much looking in from the outside.
I must say though that Paul is right in his comments about the way the system is being run.
What needs to happen (IMO) is make it simple as possible and run the thing in such a way that it only has a real impact on people when work is poorly done and the like, other than that, it should be "in the background" so to speak.
No need for extra work or whatever to comply with the system, apart from one single form that can be posted or dropped into the local council office, this should be the building owners responsibility to send it.
This form should just be a notification that work has happened at such and such address, the council can do what they like after they recieve the notice.
Just my $0.02 worth.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Since coming back, I have realized that most of the newer laws enacted in the UK are a complete joke.
Yep, good call there. The new laws which do get passed these days seem to have little to do with addressing any real problem and more to do with money -- Either requiring more payments for something, or putting rules into place which seem designed to deliberately catch people out so that can then extort more money in fines. SORN for cars, and the proposed new insurance law are prime examples, but I won't get into that!

Paul, you are sounding a little like a nascent ex-pat in the early stages of considering a life elsewhere than TonyB.LiarLand. I can recommend it!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
pauluk Offline OP
I've already been an expat Alan. Had it not been for family issues I would probably still be in the United States (gotta love the official terminology: "Permanent resident alien" [Linked Image] ).

I was actually thinking about moving over to France some time ago, I'm still not sure about the hassle with French bureaucracy though -- Although ours is probably getting as bad here.

H
Hi Pauk,
Comments from the 'Soft South' regarding Part P.
It seems to be gathering momentum down here but confusion still reigns.
A number of contractors have gone down the route of becoming 'Accredited' and it seems that the Qualification requirements first muted are starting to be watered down. A number of scheme operators seem happy to rely on the initial inspectors assessment visit and as long as they get there £300 or whatever, it sails through. Most concerning!
Other operators are now starting to offer courses purely for Part P (Obviously at a cost) Snouts in the trough seem to spring to mind!
Other EC's have elected to ignore the accreditation and use the Local Authority Visit method. Reports are that this seems to work for them, the charges being about £70 per £1000 of work value. For this the EC gets three visits from a building surveyor. How they know that the work is OK I have no idea and I can't see this continuing because £140 ish for three visits by a BS @ 2hrs a time can't pay.
I'm sure we are going to see some Amendments to Part P before long!
Why they couldn't have just demanded posession of a suitably rated ECS card amazes me.

Horace, as Paul said earlier, this is just another piece of ill-conceived legislation, which by virtue of the old 'smoke-and-mirrors' technique attempts to disguise the fact that it's just another tax. QUACK! QUACK! If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and sounds like a duck- it's a bloody duck! Don't expect common sense, just cough up the extortion money and then bill the poor old customer. Last night "Question Time" had the 3 Monkeys on stage, and M. Howard (C) reckoned 40% as about right as a tax rake for the UK. And he's supposed to be the low tax Party! The mind boggles!!
Alan

Wood work but can't!
H
Calm down Alan!
I feel it's about time some sort of 'Registration' took place in the UK.
I thought the ECS Scheme would do that but the JIB shot themselves in the foot with the demand for the NVQ3. I've felt for a long time that the 'Poor Customer' has been getting away with it (low prices) for far too long. Part P could be classed as a tax but it does seem quite a complicated way for the government to 'raise a bit more cash'. The fact that I have to pay the NICEIC £1.50 for every notification they make to the local authority on my behalf, again, could be classed as a tax, but by the NICEIC, not Gordon Brown.
This will sort itself out, and then they'll probably roll it out to cover commercial & industrial installations next. Could be a good thing!

Guys,
Was there actually ANY consultation with the people that this legislation was going to affect directly (ie: Electricians) to ask how they felt about it and if the changes could be better instituted, and if so how?.
It sounds to me to be a good old British nose-in-the-air, we know better than you attitude.
Which is a shame, this could be a good system, if it was actually set up and managed properly.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Hello Horace, and welcome to ECN.

I see you registered here a while back, so I guess you may have already followed some of our earlier discussions on Part P, but here are some links to earlier related threads anyway:

Part P

Plan p & costs to customer

Part P Get-Out Clause

but confusion still reigns.
I think that sums it up pretty well. Every turn in this whole mess that is Part P seems to result in different organizations giving different interpretations of the rules.

There seems to be far too much confusion over what the law actually says, too. We keep seeing references to the "Approved Document" for example, yet many people don't seem to realize that this is of no legal consequence whatsoever, and there is no obligation to follow any of its contents (the introductory notes in the document itself even say as much).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard