ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
hemanth Offline OP
Hi All,
I have bought the Nad c320bee Integrated amplifier and nad 521bee cd player:
The power specification for the nad c320bee is as follows.
-----------------------------------------
Continuous output power 50W (17dBW)
Clipping power 68W (18dBW)
IHF dynamic headroom at 8 ohm +3.4dB
IHF dynamic power at 8 ohm 110W (20.41dBW)
IHF dynamic power at 4 ohm 160W (22.04dBW)
IHF dynamic power at 2 ohm 210W (23.2dBW)
-------------------------------------------

As I will be moving to India, I need to buy a voltage converter for the amplifier & cd player.
I wanted to know what is wattage of the step down/voltage converter
that is needed for the amplifier and the cd player for the above specification.

Thanks,

Hemanth

S
That's the audio output power specs.

On the back panel of your gear, somewhere should be a label that says something like

110 Volts AC, 60 Hertz, XX Watts.

That amount of watts is the number you need. Then find a step-down transformer to suit.

Usually on the same label that has the model number.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-25-2005).]

Sven,
Good call,mate.
This thread may help also. [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
Just to be totally clear. Don't worry about the output of the speakers, they're also measured in watts but have nothing to do with the power supply.

As the guys have already said, look at the plate/lable on the back of the applience and you'll the rated voltage and wattage.

Add up the wattages of all of the components of the audio system ... i.e. the Amp, the CD player (anything that needs to be plugged into 110V)

Get a transformer that's slightly bigger than the total and it should be fine.

Also check to see if the equipment is capable of operating on 220V some audio equipment can actually cope with a range of voltages.

You will see a plate with something like 100-240V 50/60Hz.

There are European versions of the Amp and CD player you've mentioned above.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-25-2005).]

H
hemanth Offline OP
Thanks for all the suggestion.

On the CDP & the amplifier , they dont mention the wattage, It says 120V & .5 amp for the cd player and 120V & 3 amp for the amplifer.

For the amplifier the wattage is 360(V * amp - learnt from one more forum member). Do I need to go for a more wattage transformer than the 360 wattage(as the power consumption fluctuates in an amplifier).

Thanks and Regards,
Hemanth.

I
You may want to pop the covers and look for voltage taps in the vicinity of the Xfrmr.
A friend of mine at work picked up a pair of europe spec components(they are, NAD like yours!) that he picked up at a junk sale. They have Europlugs and on the back of the units the labels state that they need 220Volts@50Hz. Despite this, I had a thoery that was only reflecting how they hapened to be wired at factory. Sure enough, when we opened the covers not only did these units have taps for 220 volts they had taps for 100V, 120V, 220V and 240V. So, you may get away with just changing plugs and changing a few internal jumpers.

Good suggestion IanR, [Linked Image]
Would be good if all that was required was to change a tapping.
An appliance with this sort of a transformer Primary would be a rarity these days.

P
It's always handy to find a unit with a tapped primary, but as Trumpy says, they seem to be becoming rarer in modern equipment.

These days the endless regulations for different world markets can mean that the manufacturer needs to produce a slightly different power supply for different regions of the world (e.g. different type of supply cord). While they're building different versions anyway, they then often fit a different transformer and do away with the tap arrangement. There is sometimes one version for the huge North American market and a different version which covers the rest of thre world.

But it's worth a look anyway -- You might get lucky!

I
"There is sometimes one version for the huge North American market and a different version which covers the rest of thre world."

Actually I have seemed to notice the opposite.
With the world market getting as big as it is it seems that more manufactures are putting in a universal power supply to streamline the manufacturing process. Granted, I see this more with test equipment and computer related items, it's still worth a look.

S
Yeah. I don't really see the multi-voltage radio and audio stuff anymore.

Used to be that a lot of (primarily European) old radios would have a switch or jumper to select various input line voltages.

Now the only radios I see with dual-voltage 110/220 power supplies and switches are the no-name really-cheap portables. And even these are becoming a rarity....

Link Copied to Clipboard