ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#142512 01/22/05 02:28 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
All of you in the U.K. know the sign I'm referring to: It's the one that's been popping up everywhere the last few years:

[Linked Image from electricityineducation.co.uk]

Shiny new "Danger of Death" signs have just appeared on every distribution pole around my little settlement.

I wonder whether this is down to orders from the Health & Safety Gestapo, or whether maybe the lawyers have been screaming "Liability" at PoCo bosses.

Either way, providing warning signs is one thing, but do we really need these "Danger of Death" placards on every single pole in the neighborhood?

#142513 01/22/05 07:39 PM
B

US' National Electrical Manufacturer's Association came up with "Mr Ouch" awhile back.

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

I remember some years ago that the fence sign "Danger - High voltage" had to be amended with a specific instruction - "Keep Out". Administrative brilliance at its finest, I suppose. :\

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-22-2005).]

#142514 01/23/05 12:47 AM
Bjarney,
Mr Ouch RULES!!. [Linked Image]
It wouldn't take an idiot to work out from that sign, that something not-too-cool is going to happen to you, should you want to climb a power pole or have a dance on the top of an 11kV transformer.
Paul,
I really can't see the logic in attaching warning signs to every single pole.
Power poles, or VLSS (Vertical Line Support Structure, as it was once called in a local Lines document) all pretty much look the same to most people.
Unless the poles are a very large distance apart or a person is incredibly stupid, people should be able to put 2 and 2 together and say "I shouldn't climb this thing".
I'd say that this is a form of a disclaimer, Paul.
If this is what it's like now, imagine what we'll be seeing in 10-15 years time, fences around poles?, or even people guarding them to make sure no-one climbs them!.
Or we could save all the problems and just wrap everyone up in Cotton Wool, so that they won't get hurt anywhere.

#142515 01/23/05 09:27 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
The whole signage system seems to have gone crazy in recent years.

Look at substation enclosures. There used to be neat red and white signs on the gates which just said "DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE" or something similar.

Now we have the long version of the "Danger of Death" sign, which has not just the symbol pictured above but almost an entire novel underneath explaining what will happen if you ignore the warning: "Touching or approaching this apparatus may result in severe electrical shock or death" etc.

I just don't see the need to waste money putting these signs on every darned pole in the area. Has there been an epidemic of people climbing poles and getting zapped?

And you can't tell me that anyone who should be up there (power company guys, telephone engineers etc.) isn't fully aware of the fact that those 415V lines above them can deliver more than a slight tingle.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just finish my coffee. Hey, my coffee mug is dangerous! It doesn't have a McD-style warning on it: "CONTENTS HOT!" [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#142516 01/23/05 12:53 PM
D
djk Offline
Paul,

ESB Networks in Ireland has had similar signs for decades too. They apply them to EVERYTHING though. Every single distribution pole, even if just carrying 220V, all of the distribution pillars even your electricity meter has a mini version!

Also, the major installations give you warning about death, shock, burns, disfigurement etc etc..

#142517 01/23/05 01:08 PM
T
That's what they look like here in Vienna.

[Linked Image]

It says "Danger! High Voltage" and I've seen it on every pole (220/380V) too.
Next to the main bond ground-incoming water mains they used to put up a similar sign: "High Voltage Ground! Do not remove!"

{ Edited for problem with link - Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-23-2005).]

#142518 01/23/05 01:28 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Ragnar,
I can understand the Hochspannung and Vorsicht lines, but what's the literal meaning of Lebensgefahr? Is that the part telling you it could kill you?

Also, the major installations give you warning about death, shock, burns, disfigurement etc etc..
Nothing about being abducted by aliens? Not very complete is it?! [Linked Image]

#142519 01/23/05 03:46 PM
T
but what's the literal meaning of Lebensgefahr? Is that the part telling you it could kill you?
Yes, the best translation I could do is "Danger to your life".

#142520 01/24/05 10:01 AM
S
Hey guys... take a look at this site.

I have been checking it regularly for the past couple of years. It makes me laugh every time... I guess it's my absurd sense of "safety" humor that helps keep me a "sane safety man." [Linked Image]

"Warning" #9 is a take off on the NEMA sign.

http://www.capnwacky.com/warning/

Edited to add following "caution."

P.S. Enter carefully. "Stick figure warning man" has a bad attitude and occassionally is a little profane.

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 01-24-2005).]

#142521 01/24/05 10:37 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T-! [Linked Image]

I was rolling around laughing so much I spilled my coffee. Maybe Stick-Figure Man should do a warning sign about not reading humorous websites while holding hot beverages??!! [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard