ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1422 05/10/01 01:07 AM
Here's another "Do You?"...

Do you install cover plate screws so that the slot is in the vertical position? Or do you just tighten them up snug and not worry about their orientation?

I'm a little anal on this one, really makes a difference in how they look and I can tell if anyone has been in "my" boxes!

In final trim out (and all the rough-in prep that it requires) I'm all about visual perfection. (110-12?)

I wish I'd remember to "spell check" before I post!...misspelled in the topic title again!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-10-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1423 05/10/01 01:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm with you on this one. I try to make the screw slots vertical, even on horizontally aligned devices. It just looks like better workmanship.

I wish my electric screwdriver had a half-turn stepper button. As it is, I have to release its trigger early in anticipation of when the screw will be tight enough and vertical.

#1424 05/10/01 06:57 AM
R
I am anal, too. However, I think they look better horizontal. Adds a little contrast.

#1425 05/10/01 07:05 AM
S
Vigil;
good thread, this is the end result 'customer sees-it' effect!

i put them all @ 45 deg. especially on 3, or 4 gangers, this is because a few degrees off is less notable than perfectly straight up or down. ( which i can't seem to do well)

[Linked Image]

#1426 05/10/01 11:25 AM
You use an electric screwdriver on coverplates? I thought I was lazy! [Linked Image]

Seriously, how do you keep it from either cracking the plate (or dimpling it if it's nylon)? Not to mention scratching the plate or shredding the paint off the screw when the flat tip slips...

I spin my screwdriver by the shank when applying screws with my fingers, I'm not much slower this way than with a screwgun, but a lot more control.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1427 05/10/01 04:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
how do you keep [your electric screwdriver] from either cracking the plate (or dimpling it if it's nylon)?
Okay, I'll share my secret.
I hold the driver loosely. When the screw tensions, the driver twists slightly in my hand.
My B&D driver is straight (unless I put it into the angle bend position).

It's not perfect, but I think it saves time and wrist action.

Not to mention scratching the plate or shredding the paint off the screw when the flat tip slips...
They don't require that much pressure. It hasn't been a problem. I don't recall damaging any.

I would use a manual driver too if I had three hands.
Like you, I usually control the tip with my other hand. It is a natural motion from holding the screw to start.

[This message has been edited by Dspark (edited 05-10-2001).]

#1428 05/10/01 04:14 PM
Weird! How'd you know I had three hands?!?!?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1429 05/10/01 04:53 PM
Tom Offline
I too put the screw slots in one direction, usually vertical. I do it for the looks and since most amateurs would never think to do it, I can tell if someone has been messing with my work before the warranty expires.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1430 05/14/01 06:27 PM
S
Does anyone use the trim screwdrivers? They are the ones with the bent shaft so you can get the screw in most of the way with a circular motion of the hand vs. a twisting motion with the wrist.

And yes my screws line up with the direction the receptacle or switch is going. I ususally put recepts horizontal unless requested otherwise.

Link Copied to Clipboard