ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#142165 12/16/04 12:59 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
In Russia, a lot of people still depend on wired radio to get their news and music.

This is a typical wired-radio receiver, a Mayak 204:

[Linked Image from radio.gort.dk]

from this website: http://radio.gort.dk/tran_rad.htm

Here is an article on Russian wired radio that appeared in the New York Times in October 2001.
http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/5497-9.cfm

Now my question is: Does anyone who has traveled or lived in Russia (or even one of our Russian correspondents) know what type of wall connection points for these radio-speaker boxes are used and what they look like?

Pictures would be great!
Thanks. [Linked Image]

{ Edited for image link -- Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-16-2004).]

P
No idea about the connectors, but you might remember this 1971 ad I posted a few months ago:

[Linked Image]

From This post .

C
C-H Offline
Comrades,

Look in the middle of the ad! Hutch has a picture of this plug/socket configuration in his travel report from Russia.

[Linked Image from global-electron.com]

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Ooookayyyy....don't mind me. I've lost my mind. I should have seen that first before I went putting my thread up.

I'm amazed they didn't pick something different in order to avoid confusion. It just looks like a regular surface mount mains socket re-labelled "radio".

So will my toaster play music if I plugged it into the "radio socket"? [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
Does it carry 220V + the audio signal?
i.e. both powering the radio and providing the programming.

If so, that'd be quite a neat sollution [Linked Image]

If it's purely for signal I wouldn't like to see what would happen if you plugged your "radio" into the schuko outlet for the coffee maker!

BTW, most homes in urban areas in Ireland can receive radio via their cable TV service. Basically BBC Radio (and other UK stations) were always just about available in a lot of parts of Ireland. When things moved to FM it was a little more difficult to pick them up without serious antennas. So, the cable companies started carrying radio channels on FM over the Coax system.

If you have a decent radio with a Coax connector on the back, simply plug into the FM port on any cable socket in the house and you get very high quality interfence free Irish national, local and UK radio services on normal FM.

Does that system exsist elsewhere?

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-17-2004).]

P
Ooookayyyy....don't mind me. I've lost my mind. I should have seen that first before I went putting my thread up.
Don't worry Sven -- Hutch's Russian expedition had slipped my mind as well. [Linked Image]
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000689.html

Man this bought back a bit of a memory. [Linked Image]
A few years back, an old school building was being demolished to make way for a new block of classrooms.
Anyhow, I managed to salvage two of the old "radio" system speakers, of the kind that were installed in every classroom, from about 1950 onwards.
The idea behind this system was to be able announce different things to the pupils and teachers, like for Civil Defence purposes.
But the most important function of the system, was so that us young'un's had backing music, to sing the National Anthem to every morning before lessons began.
And what a morale-booster it was!. [Linked Image]
I seem to remember a picture of the Queen in every classroom, at the time too.
My, how things have changed. [Linked Image]

B

Come to think of it, I uses a form of “wired radio” every day. There is a commercial radio station about 100 miles away that has two FM transmitters, but also a link through shoutcast.com [205.188..234.129:8020] at a very decent 128kb/sec audio stream through ADSL on a 15,105-foot telephone pair. It plays as a generic-mp3 stream through my sound card to a pair of “Tinsel Tune” amplified speakers.

I’d die without it.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 12-18-2004).]

P
I guess you can include me in the wired-radio category as well then [Linked Image].

I discovered this station's feed over the internet a few weeks ago and have been listening in from time to time:

WLNG 92.1 Sag Harbor, NY

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Trumpy said:
Anyhow, I managed to salvage two of the old "radio" system speakers, of the kind that were installed in every classroom, from about 1950 onwards.

Trumpy how is the wired-radio in the N.Z. schools different from a regular whole-building public address system like used in American schools?

All the public schools in New York have a speaker box on the front wall above the blackboard, that way announcements are broadcast school-wide through it. The equipment rack is usually in the Principal's office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard