ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#142110 12/09/04 06:39 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Guys,

Have a look through the electrical sections on this DIY site:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/home.htm

Just a couple of things to start the ball rolling:

From http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/spursocket.htm

A general rule for a ring main is that if you only have two cables in the back of an existing socket then it is ok to spur.
Have they not heard that in earlier versions of the IEE Regs. it was permissible to run two outlets as a spur from a ring? Finding two cables into a socket does not guarantee that it is part of the ring and therefore O.K. to spur from.

However, if you have a radial circuit with two cables coming in and out, this may be the last socket on that circuit and already has a spur.
Huh? How can you have a spur from the end of a radial circuit? If you add an outlet onto the end of a radial, the original outlet is no longer the end -- The new socket is! [Linked Image]

From http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bondingbathroom.htm
The earth, or ground in America, in electrical terms, carries no current, and it is this that electricity will make a dash for when it is allowed to escape from its secure home in an electric cable or flex. This is because the earth has enough capacity to accept it and is not full up with electricity already. Should any fault develop in an electrical system the electricity will always head for earth, taking the easiest route there.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no........... [Linked Image]

Is it any wonder that that earthing is so misunderstood when misinformation like this is perpetuated so often?

#142111 12/09/04 09:27 PM
Wow!,
I can see this topic becoming a real whipping boy. [Linked Image]

#142112 12/09/04 09:55 PM
A
I think the doctor needs to make an appointment with maybe a consultant. This looks like a real can of worms site for advice to me. B.Q hand outs are better than this rubbish.

#142113 12/12/04 08:38 AM
Paul,
Is it any wonder that that earthing is so misunderstood when misinformation like this is perpetuated so often?
This morning (Sunday) at 10am I was responded to a house with a local Electrical Inspector, via a call from the St Johns Ambulance.
What had happened was the H/O had cut the Main Earthing lead to his house while doing some gardening.
Brian (the Inspector) and I re-joined the Earth wire and were met by a series of sparks.
Once joined, we read a current of 29A.
Upon investigation, it was found that the Earth Potential Neutral that fed the house (Over-head Reticulation) had broken some time ago and the Earthing system was carrying the Neutral current.
Oddly enough, there was, not far from where the wire was cut, the label that all of our MEN wires carry, it said this:
  • Earthing Conductor: Do Not Disconnect!!

The guy died at the scene, after having cut the wire with a set of un-insulated end-pincers. [Linked Image]

#142114 01/08/05 09:45 AM
Paul,
There's some rather strange advice on that site.
To quote it, after the DIYer has been instructed on how to install an Electric Shower Unit:
If you are sure that you have followed all of the above advice, turn on the power to test.
Good Lord!. [Linked Image]
As far as us Electricians are concerned, Health and Safety laws, ruled out the use of the 240V Megger ages ago. [Linked Image]
However, I also note that Part P has had an effect on this site as well, thus:
DIY doctor will continue to publish projects involving minor works which are permitted under the new regulations, eg the addition of a lighting point or socket to an existing circuit but regrets that because of insurance restrictions, is now unable to answer specific electrical question
Hmm.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-08-2005).]

#142115 01/25/05 05:00 AM
P
always your worst fear with PME supply..

Link Copied to Clipboard