ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
You may remember a thread from some weeks ago in which a British builder was asking about taking British 110V building-site tools down under.

It seems as though this is a recurring problem for escaping British builders:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261678

From the Queensland Electrical Safety Office website, referred to in the thread:
making it an offence for anyone, including retailers to encourage an unlicensed person, such as a home renovator, to carry out electrical work. This includes giving 'how to' instructions or advice for installing electrical equipment.
Can one of our Aussie members confirm this?

Does this mean that if I were in Queensland (and maybe some other states) that I'd be breaking the law by telling a homeowner how to wire a lamp? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-26-2004).]

Paul,
The term "Electrical work" used in that context, refers to Fixed wiring work, as in the installation of TPS wiring and the associated fittings, not the fitting of plugs to appliances and the like. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
But what if I just told somebody how to replace, say, a fixed wall light? Would that be classed as "encouraging an unlicensed person" to carry out wiring?

The British Expats forum has been providing some quite interesting electrical threads in the Aussie/NZ section lately, and it's funny you should mention just changing a plug. Have a look at the lengthy argument which developed over just such a query:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261775

(Yes, PBC_1966 there at the end is me -- I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents! [Linked Image])

LOL Paul,
I just registered myself, as TrumpyNZ.
Seems like a large number of questions there don't have a lot of the right advice. [Linked Image]
Also Paul, we have a thing down here called Prescribed Electrical work.
If work isn't prescribed in the Regulations, you don't have to be qualified to do it.
But, on the same side of the coin, let's not make a misnomer of this, all new wiring work is required to be connected to a source of energy, by a registered Electrician or Inspector, as the case may be. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
There are numerous questions in there along the lines of "Will my British appliances work in Aus/NZ/US/Canada?" TV equipment causes a lot of confusion, as you might expect.

Queensland Electrical Safety Act 2002 and Queensland Electrical Safety Regulation 2002 can be viewed on the following website.

www.eso.qld.gov.au

It is very interesting reading.

It also defines Electrical Work.

Under this this legislation you have hold a Queensland Electrical Work Licence to perform Electrical Work in Queensland.

Link Copied to Clipboard