ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
e57 Offline OP
Now this may be a really silly question, but do they use EMT and rigid conduit in Europe? And, if so do you guys use the same type of benders we do for smaller sizes?
[Linked Image from gardnerbender.com]
Just wondering about this.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
As far as Britain is concerned, there was a type of thinwall conduit similar to American EMT which can sometimes be found in very old installations.

These days, however, it's generally a choice between PVC or heavy-gauge steel conduit. The latter is available with galvanized or black enamel finishes.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Pvc_Index/index.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/index.html

Benders similar to one you pictured are available. Plumbers use the same type of benders for their pipework, with the appropriate formers.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-24-2004).]

C
C-H Offline
I echo Paul. As far as Sweden is concerned, EMT seems to have gone out at the same time they switched to plastic wires.

As an American you would cringe at the sight of all exposed plastic cable. Sticks of rigid conduit are only used to protect cables where subject to severe mechanical damage. A typical example is the first one or two metres of cable on the outside of a building. (It seems I can't write a grammatically correct sentence to describe it [Linked Image] ) Additionally, cables in very public places like railway or underground stations are protected by rigid metal conduit. Often the round conduit is substituted for a U-shaped cover plate that is mounted around the cable.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-24-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard