ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Further to the above post, I am informed by local BC that; "(They) have no idea what the fees structure or practical arrangements will be; (they) await further instrucion from the ODPM et al. There is general dismay in the department that we have reached this date with a Jan 1st implementation and as little information or direction as seems to be the case. It may well be that the matter is delayed because of the general disorganisation or realisation of the practicalities".

Ho-hum... There we have it! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
P
"(They) have no idea what the fees structure or practical arrangements will be; (they) await further instrucion from the ODPM et al.
That sounds about typical! [Linked Image]

I think I might e-mail the building dept. of my local council and see what they say......

P
I did actually send an inquiry to the council asking what arrangements they will be implementing for electrical inspections and how much the fees will be.

I've not received any reply yet, but with the speed our local council works we might have something back from them about February..... [Linked Image]

P
I've actually received a reply to my inquiry in less than a month!

In response to your questions, no final decisions have as yet been made, although discussions are taking place regionally in an attempt to establish a consistent approach.

At present I do not anticipate any changes to existing procedures regarding inspection requests or application forms. Charges, if different from those that exist at present, have not as yet been determined.

Mike Radley
Building Control Manager
There you have it -- Not very helpful, is it?

I wonder what he means by no changes to existing procedures? At present there are no fees, no applications, no inspections, in fact no anything to do with domestic electrical.

I'll write back and see if I can get some clarification on this.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-27-2004).]

U
Hell's bells [Linked Image]

" Further to your enquiry regarding the proposed changes to the Building Regulations to take into account the requirement to test and inspect non self-certified installations in domestic premises, I can offer the following update:

From 1st January 2005 we will be required to undertake inspections and testing on non self-certified installations in domestic premises, where the work has been undertaken by a person other than a registered competent person.

I hope that this satisfies your enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further information."

This was in response to an enquiry asking for prices...

I then received this:

" Further to your enquiry regarding the proposed changes to the Building Regulations to take into account the requirement to test and inspect non self-certified installations in domestic premises, I can offer the following update:

From 1st January we are required....etc/// blah blah blah. However we have not yet established a fee structure which will be based upon those currently charged.

I hope...etc."

SO...I then sent this:

Thank you for your recent letter regarding the proposed Part P charging scheme. However, as there is no 'current' scheme, I am wondering what you are proposing to base your fees for electrical certification upon? Please could you forward details by email to....

Herewith the response:

In answer to your question, we have no idea what the costs will be, or what they will be based upon, if anything. It is unlikely that we will be in a position to charge other than the standard hourly rate for an inspectors time.

I hope...etc.

[Linked Image] What a bluddy waste of effort! Nothing like a standard letter/email to really get my dander up.

I'll put my Ol' Man onto it; he's a local councillor.

P
It sounds as though this problem is repeated right around the country.

I've received a reply to my second query fairly quickly. (Tail end of messaage included so you can see that they disclaim anything stated in their e-mails! [Linked Image] )

There are many questions that still need to be answered in relation to the introduction of Part P.

What I was trying to say in my previous response is that Local Authorities could deal with the introduction of Part P as they would with any other new Regulation. That is they could be incorporated into a genaral application for say a new dwelling and not be treated separately.

The difference here is that we are being required to learn a new set of skills and will have to adapt our work practices to take account of this.

It is hoped that we shall have the necessary procedures in place before the introduction of the new 1st Jan.

Finally I would be grateful if you could inform me of the reason for your interest in this matter. Are you an Electrician?

Mike Radley
Building Control Manager

North Norfolk District Council

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, the E-mail and any files have been transmitted to you in error and any copying, distribution or other use of the information contained in them is strictly prohibited.

Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment on the part of the Council unless confirmed by a communication signed by a properly authorised officer of the Council.
http://northnorfolk.org

Well, if the council doesn't have anything in place with barely more than month to go, maybe they won't complain too much if we don't bother to play along with Deputy Prime Minister's stupid game. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-29-2004).]

U
Indeed... Like the way they make their disclaimer; "Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual or other legal commitment on the part of the Council unless confirmed by a communication signed by a properly authorised officer of the Council".

Ask them to confirm the PP in an email - then ignore it! [Linked Image]

This begs the question as to why he wanted to know why YOU wanted to know.... [Linked Image]

P
Yeah, if they disclaim anything they tell you in an e-mail, it makes you wonder why they bother to have e-mail facilities at all, doesn't it?

This begs the question as to why he wanted to know why YOU wanted to know....
I've been pondering over that as well. It could be a genuine mission to ascertain the views of anyone likely to be involved with the new regs in an attempt to find the best workable procedures. Then again, it could be a ploy to build up a list of anybody considered worthy of scrutiny in the future.

I'm not paranoid you understand, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me.... [Linked Image]

A
Guys, stop beating yourselves to death, just do the installation, do the tests and fill in the test cert.Copy for you Copy for the client. Job done. What could be easier.
Its the same as the colour change we moaned and groaned at it. It appeared its been no great sweat has it. We are all now using the new colours as if they were always brown, black,grey and blue neutral. Why do we let these bloody beurocrats wind us up.

U
Then again, it could be a ploy to build up a list of anybody considered worthy of scrutiny in the future.

I suspect that scenario to be the most likely culprit...

Aland, it's not a problem - except for those not certified and fully competent to do the work (PUK I believe you stated you fall into this category?). This immediately puts them at a disadvantge when tendering for work.
Why do we let these bloody beurocrats wind us up.
Because they cost us a bluddy fortune, make my working day longer than it need be, and increase my personal costs - or eat at the profit. Such attitude is 'why' we end up getting shafted by bureaucracy!! [Linked Image]

(ps - not mad at you - mad at the system [Linked Image] )

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard