ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#141506 08/31/04 02:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Here's a device that was explained in my monthly power account.
It uses a CT-like sensor on the Main incoming Phase to your house.
Here's the low-down on it:

http://www.centameter.co.nz/save-power-new-zealand/centameter-product-info.php
Tell me what you guys think about this idea?
[Linked Image]

#141507 09/01/04 07:35 PM
U
Don't you just *love* the marketeers!!
can save up to 20% on monthly power bills and will become a household essential...

No, I haven't personally seen these, but I gather they exist here in some form or another! I don't think I would want one though...I'd never have anything switched on! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Someone once asked me why I suggested he should run his immersion heater only on off-peak ( which he had in the house for storage heaters anyway ). I told him to take a look at his meter, whilst he watched it I turned on the heater. When I came back down stairs he just poked his head out from the cupboard and said;
"Point taken"! [Linked Image] I promptly fitted a timer!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141508 09/03/04 05:21 AM
D
I have one on my desk Mike.
I bought it not to save power though it has done that.
I took pleasure in showing the kids how much money we were using in electricity, then asked them to switch of all the lights and appliances that were not in use. They were impressed when they saw how much money was being wasted.
I told them that is why they didnt get more pocket money.

I like unit for the temperature and humidity display more than anything else though.

#141509 09/03/04 08:03 AM
P
I wouldn't bother with one for myself, but it might be handy to demonstrate just how much it's costing to run certain things I suppose.

I find many people have no idea about the consumption of different appliances. They frequently over-estimate the power of radios, TVs, computers, etc. while not realizing how much it costs to keep heating running all the time.

#141510 09/07/04 06:36 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I bought one of these units home from work yesterday.
Just to give it a go.
I can see the merit in it, sure, but you would have to be wasting a lot of Electricity to make any real savings.
Paul,
I agree, the majority of customers that I have met, couldn't tell the difference between the TV and the HW Cylinder as far as power consumption goes.
I had a prime example yesterday.
As a Faultsman, during the day I go and see a range of problems, as a representative of the PoCo here.
This lady was screaming at me because of her NZ$500 power account and wanted the problem fixed.
All she could do was whinge and whine about her un-employed son being on the computer all night and using all of her power.
So I told her that a computer does not use anywhere near that amount of Electricity over a month.
I went out to my Faults truck and got my Clamp meter, opened the switch-board and proceeded to find the culprit.
I showed her too, as I checked the current on each Phase wire.
I told her son to start his computer up and then turn it off again.
The meter showed a difference of 200mA.
No problems there.
I then put the tester on a 2.5mm wire and the meter shot up to 12A.
It was marked as a Bedroom point, I asked which bedroom it fed, I was met with a blank stare, but I headed through the house and to the bedrooms and in the second bedroom, there was a flex going out through the window, I asked what that was for.
I went outside and it ran into the glass-house.
The lady then conceded that she used a 2 Bar heater to keep the frost off her plants!. [Linked Image]
But she had forgotten to turn it off.
I love having my time wasted. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard