ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#141454 08/13/04 04:55 PM
U
Ok...so what went wrong for you guys today???

Me? TWO messed up orders from suppliers ( and coz it's Friday there is no chance of righting it until next week...weekend is a write-off [Linked Image] )

Also the starter-motor in the van packed up, and when I went to pick up the replacement it was the wrong one [Linked Image] Same applies as for the orders...nothing 'til next week now.

Knew I should never have got up!! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141455 08/13/04 08:42 PM
S
Ordered a replacement timer for a star delta starter on wednesday, got it today and went to fit it this afternoon, bloody wrong type (not my fault) [Linked Image] and customer needs motor going desperatley, so had to rig up a light switch to manually change over to delta. bad afternoon

#141456 08/14/04 10:13 AM
U
It is soooo annoying when the suppliers goof; inevitably with the urgent orders [Linked Image]

customer needs motor going desperatley, so had to rig up a light switch to manually change over to delta

This is why people pay electricians £XX /Hr - you cannot beat resourcefulness and experience! 10/10 for customer support San!! [Linked Image]

#141457 08/18/04 03:53 AM
P
Nothing too drastic happened to me, but my regular supplier was out of stock of several items.

Considering that the Norwich branch is supposedly one of their "Super-Warehouses" or whatever they call it, they seem to be out of very basic items rather too often. For example, this time:

* Cable cleats for 6942 1.5mm 2-c SWA -- No stocks.

* SWA glands for above -- No exterior types in stock.

* Black enamel adaptable box, the handy 3x3x2 size -- No stocks.

* Osram 100W BC Rough-service bulbs -- Only 18 in stock.

* Molded weatherproof junction boxes -- No stocks.

And so on.

I resorted to the nearby B&Q store, and found out that although they carry SWA cable they don't sell cleats. [Linked Image]

By the time I finished, I hit the rush-hour traffic coming out. [Linked Image] Now I know why I get materials delivered whenever I can!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-18-2004).]

#141458 08/18/04 07:38 PM
U
Hmm... The 'supplier' you mention wouldn't be R**** S***** by any chance would it???

Anything outlandish...yup LOADS! The bread-and-butter stuff? Nope - "should be in by Monday..." [Linked Image]

LOL... Typical B&Q. Mind you - I'd prefer they didn't sell anything more complex than a bulb...

#141459 08/21/04 01:49 PM
P
Hmm... The 'supplier' you mention wouldn't be R**** S***** by any chance would it???

Nope. Norwich branch of this one.

#141460 08/22/04 07:33 PM
U
Ah. I see a strange paucity of those in the North West!

Actually, I was a little unfair on Rexel Senate; granted they do cheese one off with their lack of basics on occasions - but they can pull some rabbits out of the hat sometimes too!

One thing that does P me off is that they no longer open on Saturdays; someone has to come in if you have an emergency requirement.

The reason? It has been deemed too expensive to have more than one person working 9 - 12.30 on Saturdays, and not safe enough to have only one in the building. Ya know, if I operated on that principle I would lose out big-style!

#141461 08/30/04 07:42 AM
P
I see what you mean. They don't have much north of Manchester.

One good thing about BDC is that they open at 7:30, so you can pick-up materials and go straight on to a decent start-time on a job if need be.

I'm going to have another moan about lack of stocks though. [Linked Image]

20mm black PVC conduit fittings: 3-way tee box, only 7 in stock. Spacer bar saddles, 30 in stock. No, not 30 packs, just 30 actual individual saddles! [Linked Image]

Did I use B&Q for the rest? You gotta be kidding! They sell saddles at 98p. for a pack of two and the 3-ways at, IIRC, £1.49 each! [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard