ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141436 08/09/04 01:31 PM
P
Good evening fellow sparks

just a small question if anyone can help..on a new build house, is there a minimum number of socket outlets in the bedrooms, as required by the building regs.. have read it some where but cant find it now..

cheers

Paul

P
So far as I'm aware, there is nothing in the Building Regs. which specify a minimum number for any room.

There are some (very vague) references to sockets and switch locations in part M, however:

*** Danger Will Robinson! Link is to the dreaded Office of Deputy Prime Minister site! ***

[Linked Image]

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_0254 94-06.hcsp

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-09-2004).]

PaulC,
Even though I may come from the other side of the world and use a different wiring method.
I have this to say, give the people more socket-outlets than what they need.
This will later mean that they won't start using shonky devices like multi-way power boards to effect more outlets!.
It's best to protect your installation from problems at the start and I would recommend a minimum of 4 double sockets, two of which should be near the head of the bed, for clock/radio's and electric blankets. [Linked Image]

P
Certainly agree with that. The more the merrier!

When my father rewired the old house to which we moved in 1970, we had outlets in just about every conceivable place you might want to use one. I'm sure that at that time we must have been the most outlet-equipped house in the street.

Certainly for bedrooms, I think it's a good idea to place them either side of any likely location of a bed, plus any others in other parts of the room.

In fact I think there's a lot of merit in the American approach: An outlet within 6 ft. of a doorway and at least every 12 ft. around the room.

A
Paul,
A reasonable guide guide is the Crabtree technical guideline 1 for typical domestic installatins it has the recomendations as laid down by EILC (Electrical Industry Liasion Commitee. My copy is out of date (dont do to mutch domestic work nower days. Its a specifiers guide used by local Authorities and Architects. Give your local Crabtree rep a shout he might have an upto date copy, This one is dated 1993 and the minimum recomendation then was 4 twin sockets in a double bedroom, 3 in a single bedroom.
Things have moved on a pace since then, Tv's, Computers etc, kids bedrooms especially seem to become the nerve center for everything. I think I might even consider 6 twin sockets not to be that outrageouse these days. What does the client want to pay for is the other question?

S
P 156 of the OSG

Lounge 6-10
Dining room 3
Kitchen 6-10
Double Bedroom 4-6
Single Bedroom 4-6
Hall 2
Loft 1
Study 6
Garage 2
Utility Room 2

D
Hi Paul C,
If you live in Scotland the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations 1990 specify minimum numbers of socket outlets for new and altered dwellings.
These are set at very minimal levels, as follows:
Kitchens: 6 socket outlets.
Other apartments ie. Bedrooms, Dining etc.: 4 socket outlets.
An additional 4 socket outlets are required elsewhere.
In normal circumstances these requirements will be exceeded.

The newest ECANZ (Electrical Contractors Assoc.) manual recommends this for a standard 3 bedroom house here and bear in mind, this is a minimum that we use here:
Lounge- 12 points (Combination of 4 Way and Double outlets)
Dining Area- 4 points (both Doubles)
Kitchen- 16 points(minimum)
Master Bedroom- 7 points
Other Bedrooms- 6 points
Office Area- 10 points
Garage/Workshop- 10 points
Laundry- 6 points.

P
Things have sure come a long way from the days of one 15A outlet next to the fireplace and a 5A one for the radio on the opposite wall! [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
Just did a quick count of our house:

Kitchen: 10 over the counters (5 doubles)

4 at fairly high points around the dining area, 4 at lower level (3ft) (doubles)

1 for dishwasher (Single 15A) (switched over the counter on own 16A MCB) and 1 for cooker hood (single 13A)
1 for fridge (13A)

Utility room:
1 for washer (15A)
1 for dryer (15A)
going to their own 16A MCBs

4 on wall above 1 of which is taken up by a fridge. (2 X doubles)

Living room:

Behind TV 4 outlets

and 2 other doubles scattered around.

Dining room: 6 (3 doubles)

Sitting room 8 (4 doubles) + lamp sockets (4 x 5Amp)

Hallway 4 (2 doubles) and 2 X lamp sockets (5A)

Bedroom halway 4 (2 x doubles)

Master bedroom 8 (4 x doubles)
1 at each side of bed, one at dressing table and another randomly placed

other bedrooms 4 or 6 (i.e. 2 or 3 doubles)

Garage: 1 double 13A and 1 double 16A (Blue Ceeform)

exterior : 5 X 16 A ceeform scattered around garden all appropriately RCD protected on one radial with 16A MCB. They're not intended to be used simultaniously, but just to give flexibility while using gardening equipment.

Circuits:

one 20A radial per room

except: kitchen has 2 X 20 amp and several single 16A MCBs for individual appliences (i.e. dishwasher etc)

and the outlets behind the TV are on their own 16A radial for some reason.

Distribution board is pretty big with 3 rows of MCBs/RCDs

rated 100A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard