ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 472 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Paul,
So would there be anything in the NZ workplace health & safety orders to prevent the use of UK 110V tools with a CTE xfmr?
No there isn't Paul, I see your point, but in general, an (ugh!) RCD is used here instead.
Besides, I don't even think that you can even buy 110V tools here, if they are, they would be a lot more expensive than the Mains tools we have here.
Other side of the coin, Cordless Drills are used a lot more here these days, than Mains Drills, owing to better battery capacity and the fact that a C-Drill can use a hole-saw of up to 32 mm diameter.
Power to burn!. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Good point Bob. The 110V power tools sold here aren't UL listed either.

Mike,
Yes, cordless tools have become pretty popular since power and battery capacity improved. You still need the chargers though, so I guess there could be arguements over whether they have an appropriate UL/CSE/CE/whatever approval mark.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still can't quite bring myself to really use cordless power tools. I'm just too wedded to AC tools I guess.

U
Call me old-fashioned, but I still can't quite bring myself to really use cordless power tools. I'm just too wedded to AC tools I guess.
[Linked Image] LOL [Linked Image] Uhuh...I was the same!!

Now I can do many a job without the corded drills ever leaving the van! I have to say that working up ladders and in new-build ( sans power ) is a heck easier without dragging half a hundredweight of flex arouns behind me! ANd don't you just HATE when the coupling ( even CEEform) gets hooked around the only damn obstacle in sight!!! ( Usually when you're at the top of the 10M ladder [Linked Image] )

I don't go for cordless-everything, or great power either: 14.4V does everything I want 90% of the time. I was watching a chippy making a door the other day; he drew out his cordless snorter and wopped his way through a 6' rip in three x two without breaking into a sweat; impressive - my mains snorter hangs its tongue out at such jobs!!

Trouble with cordless is firstly the cost of anything worth having, and secondly the attractiveness of them to the light fingered [Linked Image]

It's interesting to note that I erect about half the quantity of site-supplies now that I used to around 3 or 4 years ago... [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
Y
Here in the US there are two choices for insuring workplace electrical safety. One, you can put GFCIs on every tool circuit. Two, the Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor program. More and more contractors opt for both.

The Assured EGC program consists of visual inspection and continuity testing each quarter. Cords that pass the test are wrapped at each end with colored electrical tape, a different color for each testing period.

When I have worked in industrial plants, usually an electrician is assigned this task, but on construction sites, it often falls to the GC's go-fer or someone with no quals whatsoever.

I recall one morning a young man walking into the room where I was working and telling me I needed to put yellow tape on my cord. I asked him why. He replied, "To comply with OSHA regs." I had to give him a hard time. I asked him exactly how a marking of colored tape was supposed to make my cord safer. He was unable to answer. I asked him what a continuity test was, and got a blank stare. I told him I'd be happy to wrap the entire cord if he could explain to me why the OSHA code required it.

Not realizing it was the first of the month, I had tested my cord earlier that morning, out of habit. I'll be happy to put tape on my cord, lavender and chartreuse if it makes you happy. Just make sure you know why your asking!

P
pauluk Offline OP
Sounds like one of those people who become an "expert" by reading all the rule books but not having any practical experience or real knowledge of why certain rules are imposed.

I'll be happy to put tape on my cord, lavender and chartreuse if it makes you happy.
Aren't those last season's colors? I thought lemon yellow and lime green were the latest fashion! [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard