ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141406 08/02/04 11:01 AM
T
Here is a nice picture of German Busch-Jaeger NEMA 5-15R receptacles.
Sorry for the size of the image, I couldn't downsize it without a lot of work bc I found it on the web as is.

[Linked Image]

Click here for full-size image

Never knew such a beast existed!

{ Edited to rescale image -- Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-02-2004).]

C
C-H Offline
It says Leviton on it...

Apparently it is designed to fit German boxes and a German made cover.

T
Leviton Spec. Grade, AL/CU. That explains the complete absence of anything but the UL/CSA listing.
It is designed to fit German boxes and BJ modular frames. The guy wants to sell them and I asked for the price. Hopefully he doesn't want too much.

:
i've heard of these, they were used in american GI homes in germany sometimes.

ranger look here (german text) http://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/phpBB/topic17418_f17_bxtopic_timexDESC_by1_bz0_ bs0.html

btw, looks to me the AL is crossed out so it should say NO AL allowed... ?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 08-02-2004).]

P
Ragnar,

Hope you don't mind -- I've taken the liberty of editing your post to rescale the image.

That's an interesting combination. Looks like the manufacturer just riveted the Leviton receptacle onto a German frame. It appears from the other holes and cut-outs that the frame is a general one used for other devices.

That's not an AL/CU receptacle though. The markings are telling you that it's not suitable for aluminum wire.

Oh, and did the photographer have this upside down when he took the picture? [Linked Image] (Runs, ducks, and avoids flying objects..... [Linked Image] )

T
Ooops, didn't notice the crossed out Al. [Linked Image]

lol, Andy, I am Trumbaschl! That's my nick there.

Thanks a lot for rescaling the image Paul, I never got to reinstalling my Graphics Converter after the secondary HD crashed, so I couldn't rescale it myself.
The frame might be taken from an antenna socket or maybe dimmer switch, standard Schuko sockets and switches have much smaller frames.

OT, but did you know that UK 13A sockets fit german switch boxes? The screw spacing and size is identical.

P
Hey, does "Trumbaschl" mean anything in English, or is it one of those terms that just don't translate properly? [Linked Image]

I didn't realize that the fixing centers on a British device would fit a German box. The screw threads themselves don't surprise me, however. British boxes switched to metric 3.5mm threads when the industry changed to metric in general around 1970. Earlier boxes and screws are 4BA, which at first glance look almost the same but are just different enough to pull straight out or jam in solid!

Das werden Lautsprechersteckdosen gewesen sein. Wenns die Schule war dann vermutlich in 100V Technik.
Is somebody talking about a 100V speaker distribution system in an old school here? British PA systems also used the 100V line with matching transformers extensively, although I believe they weren't commonly used (if at all?) in the U.S. (I believe a 70V system was the norm).

Alte österreichische Radios sind für 110, 127, 150, 220 und 240V einstellbar.
Where did your 150V come from? [Linked Image]

I wish I'd continued studying German at school now!

BTW, ich liebe die Katze! [Linked Image]

:
I think trumbaschl must be something specific austrian, no idea what that could be [Linked Image]

you were right with the 100v audio transmission, which is still common for long distance building applications here.

i have also never heard of 150V, need to ask ranger about that.

really funny happening ranger, i thaught of you when i first read the Vienna under trumbaschl's avatar [Linked Image] but then, nah, there's more than 1 sparkie in vienna...
never thaught you'd be ...
did you ever notice me there, same nickname as here?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 08-02-2004).]

I've seen the actual device part of this over here a couple times... I think they were in some wierd outdoor outlet enclosure on a trailer or something..
I had no idea they were overseas though!

-Randy

T
Actually Trumbaschl is not a word at all! It's a name my dad invented for a story when I was a kid, and hopefully nobody knows what it refers to [Linked Image]
No, I won't tease you. Back when I was about 7 my parents rented a second apartment in the same house, to use it as an office and guest bedroom. The old wiring was shoddy at least, and most of all really weird. The sparkies who dug into it kept calling their boss off our phone every few minutes bc they had no idea how things were actually working. And afterwards my dad invented the mystery sparky Kurt trumbaschl who did all that wiring. And when I was looking for a funny nick I stumbled over that one, where I was the only one who'd know the hidden meaning... (and noooo, my wiring is much better than his!)
Andy, I thought it might be you, but I wasn't sure. After all it's a pretty common name.
I have absolutely no idea about the 150V, but I have a few radios with that voltage setting.
The cat is really cool, when I was looking through the list of avatars it immediately caught my eye.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard