ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141387 07/31/04 07:20 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
As we enter the August holiday season, here's a quick break from electrical matters and some events from the past: [Linked Image]

20 years ago this month: August 1984

The Cosby Show debuts on NBC.

Space Shuttle Discovery makes its maiden flight.

The Apple Macintosh goes on sale.

30 years ago this month: August 1974

Richard Nixon releases tapes and transcripts which reveal his approval of the Watergate cover-up, and becomes the first U.S. President in history to resign.

#1 records of the month include Paper Lace "Billy Don't Be A Hero," The Osmonds "Love Me For A Reason," and George McCrae "Rock Your Baby."

The average 3-bedroom house in Australia costs $31,000 (Australian dollars).

40 years ago this month: August 1964

Singer Johnny Burnette drowns in a boating accident in California.

Three young civil rights workers, missing since June 21, are discovered murdered and buried on a farm outside Philadelphia, Mississippi.

The month starts with the Beatles at the top of both the U.S. and U.K. hit parades with "A Hard Day's Night." Other British #1 hits of the month are Manfred Mann with "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and The Honeycombs with "Have I The Right?"

British police are flown into the south coast resort of Hastings to handle battles between rival gangs of "Mods" and "Rockers," in a repeat of the clashes which hit many seaside resorts during the Whitsun weekend.

Peter Anthony Allen and Gwynne Owen Evans are hanged for the murder of John West at his home in April, becoming the last two men to be executed in Britain.

50 years ago this month: August 1954

The Crew-Cuts "Sh-Boom" breaks all records by shooting into the billboard Top Ten in the U.S. after just 3 weeks on release, reaching the #1 spot during the month. In Britain the #1 spot is dominated by David Whitfield's "Cara Mia" for the entire month.

In New Zealand, the trial opens of Pauline Yvonne Parker, 16, and Juliet Marion Hulme, 15, in a case which shocked the country. The girls had murdered Honora Mary Parker -- Pauline's mother -- at Christchurch in June.

The Independent Television Authority is established in the U.K., to provide commercial TV and break the BBC monopoly. Broadcasts were to commence in September of the following year.

So, what were you doing in each of these months? [Linked Image]

#141388 08/01/04 07:22 PM
U
20 years ago this month: August 1984

Hmm....working I guess! As I recall I was working on a new visitor centre not far from us...it was HOT and the midges were biting like heck!

30 years ago this month: August 1974
My photo-album tells me we were on holiday in Cyprus...I was a LOT thinner then [Linked Image] and well bronzed; spent the whole time in nothing but swimming trunks!

40 years ago this month: August 1964
LOL [Linked Image] another look in the family album sees me naked in the garden pretending NOT to be s***-scared of the neighbours dog which is taller than me and standing beside me! I was one-and-a-bit [Linked Image]

50 years ago this month: August 1954
I'm not totally sure, but I think I'm the second monkey from the left in this pic taken on the Rock of Gibralter by my Dad. Former life....hey I wasn't even a twinkle in the oldies eye then!! [Linked Image]

How 'bout you Paul?? [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141389 08/02/04 12:40 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
LOL! [Linked Image]

1984: Living in Cornwall, working for BT at Goonhilly SES (Satellite Earth Station). I think I was enjoying my relatively new-found freedom (about 16 months) of being able to drive myself around, and just enjoying life after getting over some pretty major surgery at the beginning of the year. Oh, and meeting girls was on the agenda as I recall..... [Linked Image]

1974: Living in Luton. For at least some of August I would have been on vacation with my parents at our caravan down in Sussex. Somewhere I have photographic evidence of walking the cliff-tops at Eastbourne, playing with the radio-controlled boats at Worthing, and riding the Bluebell Railway. Happy times! [Linked Image]

1964: In August '64 I wasn't due to be born for another 19 months, so I guess I must have been one of those monkeys too! [Linked Image]

#141390 08/08/04 07:36 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Summer's nicely here now -- Sunshine and warmth! [Linked Image]

Here's a traditional-looking British seaside resort. This is Great Yarmouth:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or for a quiter, more relaxing time, how about a nice cruise along the water? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#141391 08/08/04 10:57 AM
B
Just the ticket for one of Hyacinth B’s riparian finger-food buffets and nautical fare. [Not sure how she’d work in the “candlelight” part.]

#141392 10/05/04 04:02 AM
Sorry to come in so late on this one Paul.
August 1974: I was nearly 3 years old and tearing the house to pieces and chasing the cat around with the vacuum cleaner hose, from the account my father gave me years later!.
August 1984: I was in my second year at Temuka High School. (Secondary school)
I was in the Radio club and learnt an absolute heap of things about Radio and Electronics from my then Science teacher, Mr Brian Hall.
Oh and we got our first computer at school that year too, apparently it cost so much, it would be a while before the school made another purchase like that again!. [Linked Image]

#141393 10/09/04 03:15 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hey, it doesn't seem long since I posted these pictures, now it's starting to turn cold again.

At least during a cold February one can say "Not long until spring," but it this time of year as it's starting to get dark earlier it seems like winter is going to be here for a long time. [Linked Image]

#141394 10/10/04 03:08 AM
Paul,
Obviously being on the other side of the coin, Down Under, we're in for a scorcher, if the Weather forecasters are right.
It will be good to have some warmer weather, but for me it means gearing up for the myriad Fire Calls from Grass and tree fires that we've beome accustomed to each Summer.
BTW, Australia has had it's first Bushfire already and it's not even November yet.
Hopefully this isn't an omen. [Linked Image]
The days are starting to get longer over here and it soon will be time to bring the BBQ out of hibernation.
Now all I have to do is get some colour back into my pale skin that's been covered up all Winter.

#141395 11/02/04 09:45 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
So how's summer looking to you now Trumpy? [Linked Image]

Spare a thought for the rest of us on the northern side of the equator!

#141396 11/02/04 09:03 PM
Paul,
So how's summer looking to you now Trumpy?
Well, it looks something like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just took these out the back of my place, it's 23C here today and not a puff of wind.

Spare a thought for the rest of us on the northern side of the equator!

Don't worry Paul, I am, I had my first dose of sunburn yesterday, Iam a tad sore today, but hey, I can finally swap the thick clothes and gloves for something more comfortable. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard