ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
C-H Offline OP
When were socket outlets introduced? Did early wiring have outlets or were all lamps hardwired?

The reason I'm asking is that I visited a 19th century house with the original light switches and light fixtures still in use. The switches weren't a standard design but purpose built to fit the place were mounted, e.g. a door frame. Very neat. I couldn't however find any socket outlets except in the bedroom: One (single) on each side of the bed. Both appeared to be of the usual two pin type. I wondered if this might have been a somewhat later addition.

I will try to get permission to photo the system and to open the odd box and switch in August. All Swedes - except me - are on vacation in July. [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline OP
They said that the first electricity bill (1899?) was for 14' kronas, which would be around 600' today or 80' USD. A lightbulb cost 8 kronas which is well over 300 kronas today. That's about 50 USD!

P
Good question. Most of the very early electrical installations were purely for electric light, as I understand the history. It was a few years before other appliances started to make an appearance.

Wasn't there a thread a few months ago about normal Edison screw bases being used for general outlets in the U.S. in the early days?

Yeah, C-H, I agree with Paul, this is a really good question.
I'll add to this reply tomorrow night, when I can stay awake!. [Linked Image]

Reefton,
on the West coast of the South Island here, was the first town in NZ to have Electricity Generation here, in 1889 I think.
Naturally, the Gas companies here were'nt too impressed with the competition, so they used every method they could to get the plant shut down.
One guy was even killed when he threw a chain over the (then) 190VDC lines, feeding the Streetlighting.
DC 3 wire.
But as wars ensued, Electrical Development was halted.
After WWI, huge leaps were made in reticulating towns with street lights and this carried on and really took off and some houses even had Electric light in them, but WWII intervened, the Black-outs here more or less halted all generation.
But after the war finished, NZ was more or less a playground for new development.
There were all sorts of advertisements around for getting your house reticulated with the new, clean Energy!.
First of all was the Oven/Range, this was so high in Wattage, there is no way you'd put the thing on a plug!.
{I just can't help but relate this, but I came upon an Ad in an old paper I found up in a roof once: The New Appliance For The Modern Woman!, The New Shacklock Electric Range, if your man hasn't bought you one, why not then?, get one yourself, very easy terms!.
Next, was the Refrigerator, it was also permanently wired in.
Anything that did have to be plugged in at the time, was given a 15A round 3-pin plug,
Also bear in mind that there were'nt as many sockets in a house as now.
And most of them were in the kitchen.
In the 60's here, Electrical work went crazy, things like sockets in Bedrooms and other silly things like Shaver sockets in Bathrooms.
To answer your question C-H, the first socket-outlet, hit town over here in 1947, as basic as it was, it did the job!. [Linked Image]

{Sorry, if I rambled on about nothing to get to this}

D
djk Offline
I know that 2 pin sockets, not unlike modern "europlugs" were in use in Ireland as early as the 1920s.

They were initially for connecting portable lamps, irons, kettles and other heating appliences.

Scraping side-earthed plugs have been around for quite sometime too. (as were old-style 3-pin british plugs)

More complicated appliences like vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc didn't really become generally available until the 1950s. WWII held up development signifigantly.

Fridges made a slightly pre WWII appearance too. Often using schuko-like plugs in IRL. (Remember the UK and IRL arn't that hot, so they were not perhaps as essential as in NYC and most food was bought and consumed on the same day. Shops had fridges quite early on.)

The only high-tech appliences you'd find pre WWII were valve-radios. Often connected via a 2-pin plug or into a bayonet light socket.

When was schuko introduced?

It seems to be around quite a while.

P
Round-pin plugs were certainly in use in the U.K. too by the 1920s. You'll also see round-pin appliance-end connectors on early kettles and hot plates as well. When earths were added, many of these used side-contact scraping earths.

D
djk Offline
Round recessed schuko outlets fitted into skirtings and wooden panelling seem to start appearing from the 1930s onwards.

BS546 (mostly the 15A variety) seems to start appearing in the 50s and then abruptly disappears again, but quite a lot of the 1950s rural electrification era houses had BS546 fittings.

After that BS1363 has pretty much rulled the roost eventually becoming IS401 (Plug) IS411 (Socket)

I think the logic of moving to BS1363 rather than Schuko was to remove the mixture of earthed/unearthed outlets and odd combinations of schuko plugs being inserted into old BS outlets (bypassing earthing)

Square pins were nice and incompatable!

P
Square pins were nice and incompatable!
Not that it stops some people from trying! [Linked Image]

S
Yes. In the early days, fans, toasters and such things were plugged into the ceiling light.

The plugs were basically these screw-thingies that fit into the lampholder.

Some were actually two-part adapters that combined a regular plug and a screw-in adapter.

Amazingly these adapters and the "plug clusters" that allowed you to plug in more than one bulb or appliance into one lampholder are still manufactured, sold and widely used in this part of the world (both North and South America).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard