ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
As you know, the majority of houses in Britain are brick rather than timber frame, but older ones tended to use timber floors.

In later years concrete floors became popular (on the ground floor!) and the under-floor heating elements were quite widely installed in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

There are still some in use, but on the whole if the elements have burned out people just install an alternative system. Many houses built in that era have now had gas or oil-fired central-heating with radiators installed in recent years anyway, leaving the old under-floor heating abandoned even if it is still operational.

Trumpy Offline OP
An update to this sorry tale.
The Judge recomended that the Handyman do a prison sentence of at least 12 years and his house would be sold to help re-coup some of the expenses incurred in the fire.
The PoCo wanted 15 years at least.
As a Station Officer, I look at it this way, this guy will die in Prison and is that a good result?.
Other thing is his wife, no income, how is that going to work?.
I feel terrible that I actually testified at this case!.
Sure, I have a Civil duty to protect people against Arsonists and other such people.
This guy got it wrong, seriously so, but as a FF I have to have a certain amount of compassion to everyone that I meet in my course of duty.
One thing the Judge never did take into account was the guy's remorse for having started the fire in the first place.
I mentioned that at the trial, as the Officer on the 1st responding Appliance, to see a guy with a new house burning in front of him and with the speed that he opened the gates and the look on his face said it all.
And when I spoke to him at the site, he was shaking all over and the tears were streaming out of his eyes.
Sure the guy did a really stupid thing and it came around and bit him in the @&$%, but most Arsonists here only get Community work of 250 hours, if they are caught. [Linked Image]

P
It's a sad indictment of the modern-day British judicial system, but most murderers now get out in less than 12 years. [Linked Image]

Mike,
I completely understand where you're coming from... Is there more than just arson involved with this that would make the sentence so stiff? (ie. tampering w/ public utilities, etc.)

A cousin of a friend I had a few years ago was convicted of arson (Loooong story), & given 5 years probation, with a suspended 5 year sentence (meaning if he doesnt screw up during his probation, the 5 years behind bars goes away.)

15 years for destroying a house does seem a bit lengthy... I could see maybe 5ish for someone with no prior convictions. JMHO

-Randy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard