ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#140986 05/26/04 12:47 PM
W
Wenborg Offline OP
I am creating a database that lists all available voltages by region, state or providence and city. I have all the low voltage but need assistance in finding and verifying the medium and high voltage. Interested in AC only. An example of what I am looking for is

United Kingdom:
Frequency = 50Hz +/- 1%

LV: 230/400V official (still 240/415V in practical terms)
MV: 11, 33kV (plus some old 6.6kV in a few areas)
HV: 66, 132, 275, 400kV

This example I found on this site provided by pauluk it's exactly what I am looking for on all countries.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

#140987 05/26/04 07:41 PM
C
HONG KONG
Transmission & Distribution System(CLP):
http://www.clpgroup.com/clpgroup/CLPPower/FacServ/TransDistSys/?lang=en
[Linked Image from 165.202.10.31]
[Linked Image from 165.202.10.31]

Transmission & Distribution System(HEC):
http://www.hec.com.hk/hec/useful/index5.htm
SUPPLY VOLTAGE & FREQUENCY
http://www.hec.com.hk/hec/customer/form_3b_2.htm

MACAO
http://www.cem-macau.com/english/info_major_tran.php

[This message has been edited by Cn_HK (edited 05-27-2004).]

#140988 05/27/04 04:53 AM
C
C-H Offline
May I ask what the purpose is? The information you are trying to obtain is virtually impossible to get for the majority of countries. Even getting the low voltage part right is difficult at best.

Look in my profile for a link to a list of the low voltage systems. As far as I know, it is the most up to date there is. Despite this, there are numerous errors and ambiguities in it. It turned out to be a lot more difficult than I first expected to compile a correct list, mainly because of the amount of misinformation out there.

P.S. If you are serious about this, I'd be happy to cooperate with you. The number of lists out there is too large today.

{edit} I just noticed that Macao is now 230V according to the above website. I'll have to update my database accordingly. {/edit}

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 05-27-2004).]

#140989 05/27/04 08:42 AM
W
Wenborg Offline OP
I am compiling the information because AcadAME electrical software gives engineers a list of available voltages for an area. The mechanical software has the requirements for 1559 cities in different countries. I have added the low voltage for electrical and now want to add the medium and high voltage. I am very serious of accomplishing this and have found it to be a very large task. All assistance is greatly appreciated.

#140990 05/27/04 05:35 PM
P
I think this is a mammoth task indeed. As C-H said, the sheer amount of contradictory information out there makes independent verification important.

By the way, are you including only transmission and distribution voltages for general usage, or specialized systems in widespread use as well?

For example, in the U.K. there is the widely used 25kV AC system on electrified rail lines, run from sub-stations tapped off the regular national grid.

#140991 05/27/04 06:10 PM
W
Wenborg Offline OP
We are including any voltages that an Engineer would need to know to design a building in any particular area. We do not work with power company installation. We work with electrical engineers for Residential, Commercial and Industrial buildings. So in answer to the question if sub-stations are tapped off of the lines we need to include them.

We are verifying all the information in several different ways. We are comparing our list of low voltage to C-H's list and will contact him with any discrepancies we find.

I am sure we will not get all of the voltages the first try but we are hoping to get as close as possible.

#140992 06/04/04 01:12 PM
W
Wenborg Offline OP
We have been verifying voltages and have several countries that have a lot of discrepancies in the low voltage. Can anyone assist?
The countries in question are
Algeria, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Botswana, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Congo Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Falkland Islands, French Polynesia, Gambia, Greece, Guadeloupe, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Isle Of Man, Italy, Jordan, Loas, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxenbourg, Macao, Malta, Mongolia, Myanmar - Burma, Nepal, Netherlands, Northfolk Island, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Trinidad, Tunisia, Turkey, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Virgin Islands, British, Virgin Islands, U.S.

Still need a lot of information on Medium and High Voltage for all Countries.

#140993 06/04/04 03:22 PM
D
djk Offline
This is a huge task! However, I would suggest that you contact the technical committees (e.g. ETCI in Ireland www.etci.ie or the IEE in the uk etc) and ask them for specfic details. Most of the information on the web is either so ridiculously out of date that it's laughable or just plain wrong.

To start you off for Ireland:

Low Voltage:

Domestic/Office/Similar environments:

Single Phase: 230V 50hz connected via BS1363 13A plugs all of which are polarised and grounded. (Older plug/socket systems, Schuko & BS546 were used but in general will not be found in any building these days)

----** Domestic/Similar socket outlets installed after 1980 are legally required to be protected by a 30 mA RCD (GFCI) Older installations may/maynot have RCD protection as it was not compulsary.

3-phase appliences are rare but where they do exsist in domestic/similar environments, they are hardwired.

Construction Sites:

Supplies on construction sites in Ireland are a little weird. Portable power tools must use 110V 50hz supplied via a local centre-tapped transformer providing 2 hots at about 55V.

Portable lighting on construction sights uses even lower voltages.

Any 230V equipment that is permitted, e.g. in site offices must be protected by 30mA RCDs.

Industrial:

230V 50hz single phasesupplied via 16A blue CEEform plugs (Grounded and polarised)
400V -50hz 3phase - Supplied via Red CEEform plugs, polarised and grounded.

Note: All outlets up to 32A MUST be RCD protected.

Medium Voltage:

10kV 50hz
20kV 50hz
38kV 50hz

Direct industrial connection at these voltages and at 110kV is not unusual. A substation would be designed in conjunction with the power company.

High Voltage supplies are always negociated and designed in conjunction with the power company.

Transmission voltages:

110kV 50Hz
220kV 50Hz
and 400kV 50Hz

Remember that large-scale industrial installations are rarely off-the-shelf and may be transformed to and from various voltages! I really can't see the relevance of providing engineers with all of the local supply voltages it's more important to know wheather a sufficiently sized supply is available from the network in a given area.

E.g. you might be ill-advised to locate a huge electric arc furnace in a rural area !

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 06-04-2004).]

#140994 06/04/04 03:49 PM
P
As far as LV in the U.K. is concerned, the different levels you may have seen quoted show the historical development of the network. Prior to the early 1970s, the nominal specification varied from area to area. For 3-ph 4-w the most common specs were 220/380, 230/400, 240/415 and 250/433V(the latter often listed as 250/440).

In the early 1970s full standardization was achieved across the country, the nominal supply then being 240/415V with an allowable tolerance of +/-6%.

A few years ago we adopted the new "Euro" standard specification of 230/400V, but it was the usual bureaucratic muddle and to allow the nominal voltage to be changed without actually doing anything, the British specification became 230/400V +10/-6%. The idea is that eventually our specification will be changed to 230/400V +/-10%.

So officially we are now 230/400, but in most areas for all practical purposes supplies are still 240/415.

Does that explain the varying figures you've seen, or does it confuse matters even more?

Frequency here is specified as 50Hz +/-1%.

#140995 06/04/04 03:53 PM
P
By the way, on MV it's quite normal for industrial operations to take a supply at 11 or 33kV. Note that these levels are always distributed as 3-wire (no neutral) with delta-connected transformers at the receiving end. We don't use 4-wire MV distribution with some xfmrs wired phase-to-neutral as is common in the States.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard