ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140859 05/15/04 08:40 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I had a Call-out on Tuesday night that has stuck in my mind ever since.
Please let me explain my case here.
I'm on call after 5pm and I was rang by a friend of my Fianc'ee.
She said that she had a fuse that had blown and her boyfriend had tried to replace the fuse but had burn't his hand when the fuse blew again.
So I went and had a look.
I had a quick look at the switch board, old one (No labels).
I asked what could have caused this Fault, as in, what was on at the time of the fuse blowing?
I was told that the kettle was boiling and the toaster was on.
Sure I thought, simple over-current, I proceeded to to refit the porcelain fuse (with 11kV gloves on),when the whole switch-board erupted in flames and the hallway turned White-Blue.
But, to the crux of this, I noticed a piece of 1mm2 2C+E going up into the roof from behind the switchboard.
I asked the girl what that was for and her reply shocked me.
"Oh my Boyfriend put the Dishwasher, 3 power points and the outside water fountian on that wire, I thought it was legal".
After I told her that there would be absolutely no way that I would be re-connecting that circuit and that there would have to be an RCBO installed to ensure compliance, even if the circuit was re-wired.
Cut the wires at the switch-board and Man did I get told off when I got home!. [Linked Image]

F
Trumpy...I notice you said "even if the circuit was rewired"..I hope you stressed that rewiring of the circuit would be a MUST and that it should be done with the correct size cable!

P
Oh dear....... [Linked Image] I've just finished writing up a report from an inspection which has numerous undersized cables: 1.5 mm2 spurs to sockets, 2.5 mm2 feeding a 7kW shower, 2.5 mm2 feeder to a sub-panel on a 30A fuse, the list just goes on. [Linked Image]

But hey, the dishwasher worked on that 1mm2 cable didn't it? Must be OK then. [Linked Image]

F
Paul..would I be correct in thinking you have found one of those houses that lends weight to the argument to ban DIY sparks!! [Linked Image]

P
Yep. It's the place I've been talking about in this thread.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-16-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard