ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Arend,
I work with an ex-pat Dutch Electrician from Rijswijk(sp?) in Dan Haag, over here in New Zealand, some of the stories he comes out with are real shockers!. [Linked Image]

D
Hi Arend,

Thanks for the great pictures and information. My only comment about your service and junction box is...I can't believe how little space you have for the wires! PaulUK mentioned the same in England.

I install 100-amp services with room for 32 single breakers, and 200-amp services with room for 42 single breakers. Often they are only half-full. The junction boxes I use are 22 cubic inches or 30 cubic inches, and sometimes I assemble them double-deep.

Dave

A
Arend Offline OP
I have to agree it isn't the neatest setup. The crossing conduits are installed by some guy who did our kitchen 11 years ago.

It wasn't meant to be the most neatest setup ever, it functions and it's safe.. and it also gives an impression of a dutch setup.

Now homes have 40 Amp Single Phase or 25 Amp Three Phase.

40 x 230 = 9.2 kW continous (you can peak to about 12 kW for some minutes)

25 x 3 = 75
75 * 230 = 17.25 kW continous (you can peak the double if slow blow diazed fuses are used).

It's enough here. Central Heating and Hot Water runs on gas. Little hot water supplies for ex. kitchen runs on little boilers that use about 15 W/hour and have a 2 kW heating element (which is about 7 ~ 10 amps).

bzzzzt ;-)
The crossing conduits are installed by some guy who did our kitchen 11 years ago.
Oh no, the "kitchen guys" have reached the Netherlands too!.
Watch out!, [Linked Image]

Arend,
How long has yellow been used as a colour for Electrical PVC conduit in Holland?.
There was a shocking story of an ex-pat Dutch Electrician in the North Island that cut a yellow pipe thinking it was an isolated conduit and it was in fact High Pressure LP Gas. [Linked Image]
Here it is either Grey or Orange.

A
Arend Offline OP
The yellowish color for conduits are standard here. There is also a gray version which is stronger, but that is mainly used to protect cables, not to run seperate wires trough.

Yellow is also the colour of gas pipes here.

pauluk:

vaatwasser is the dishwasher (3.3 kW)
elektrische ontsteking is the electrical spark to light the gas cooktop.

Today every appliance that is rated above 3000 Watts is required to have it's own circuit. By the time the kitchen is installed this wasn't code yet.

And yes, the microwave is on a seperate outlet. It's a combi-microwave (that's what we call it over here).

Hot air, Microwave and Grill in one "oven". (I think you will get the point [Linked Image] ).

Grt,

Arend

bzzzzt ;-)
T
I remember the yellowish tone from old conduit installations (1960ies and maybe 70ies). Newer conduit is either light or dark grey, depending on the mechanical rating (light grey means light duty, for use in masonry walls, wood frame walls,..., dark grey means heavy duty for use in cast concrete walls and ceilings). I don't know why, but that yellow flex conduit was really awful to work with because it's really rough inside, so it's almost impossible to pull new wires in an existing conduit.
Exposed gas lines are supposed to be painted a much more intense yellow. Besides, that yellow conduit is thin plastic. A typical gas line is threaded heavy iron pipe, so almost no possibility of mistaking.

P
The typical PVC electrical conduit sold here comes in either white or black.

If we're looking at "official" color codes though, there is an old British Standard dating back many years which lists certain colors for different services. I can't remember them all, but electrical is orange, gas is yellow, cold water is blue, and I think steam is red. There are all sorts of two-color combinations as well.

D
djk Offline
Paul

These are the colours that are normally found under the street in Ireland:

electricity: red
gas : yellow
telecom is usually blue. Where it contains fiber it will have lots of warnings and be VERY obvious.
Cable TV uses a different colour duct (varies from network to network)
Plastic Water pipes are normally black

Old duct work's much harder to identify as it was all black/dark colours.

New Zealand uses the following colours for Services:
Electricity [Linked Image]U/G): Orange
Electricity [Linked Image]above ground): Light Grey
Gas [Linked Image]Low Pressure):Light Blue
Gas [Linked Image]High Pressure):Yellow
Water: Dark Grey
Telecoms:Green.
Underground Electricity, especially 400V, 11kV and 33kV services are buried direct and have Orange marker tape at half trench depth. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard