ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140716 04/23/04 06:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This question only came about after a really bad day, today Fault-finding a 400V 3 Core + Neutral Screened Cable, laid the other day.
A guy that I do quite a bit of work for asked me if he could lay his own cable, if I stipulated the cable and the installation methods.
No worries I said, he rang me later to look at the cable before it was finally buried and I had no problems with it.
In hind-sight, I should have Meggered the darn thing!. [Linked Image]
Went to hook up the cable (feeding a 3-phase pump) and tested the cable, I had a Dead-short over all 3 wires and to the Screening.
I eventually located the short to a section of cable that was buried .
I put a Tone Beacon down the cable and found the Fault, and dug up the damaged section, only to find a nasty piece of cable,that seemed a wee bit thinner than the rest of the cable.
I never had my D-cam, so I have no evidence of this.
It was just like it had been stretched during manufacture, in one place.
OK, so do you guys, pre-test cables, on the drum, before you install it?. [Linked Image]

#140717 04/23/04 07:14 PM
P
I don't think I've ever pre-tested on the reel, although I have meggered out a cable after laying but before terminating the ends.

Maybe the guy crushed it during the install and either didn't realize, or didn't think it was important.

#140718 04/25/04 12:27 AM
T
twh Offline
I only test if something looks wrong. The cable is tested on the reel before it leaves the factory. At least, it was at the place I visited. It sounds like a good idea, especially with a large cable or long run that would be difficult to roll up. I should start doing it.

I'm impressed that you got a fault locater to work. It must be a skill that I'm lacking.

#140719 04/25/04 06:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
twh,
Welcome to the Forum mate!. [Linked Image]
Pleased to have your input here!
Off the Drum, I would not normally test, but this was a wake up call and a half.
Won't be doing that a second time. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard