ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Yesterday I salvaged an old Quelle Simonetta portable record player from being dumped. First thing it gave me a nasty shock when I tried to run it at the flea market.
When I opened things looked even worse. The fuse clips are covered in greenish-blue gunk, the 100mA fuse is probably gone and the entire plastic fuse holder as well as the metal clips have literally been blown apart. The 220V section shows obvious traces of real bad soldering, the wire that leads to the fuse even has the insulation melted away in one spot, even the case got it's share. Apart from that everything electronic (only one small circuit board) looks fine. The motor is even a Lenco.
Besides the stylus is missing.
I'm going to take some photos today then I'll post them.

P
"Good on ya" for salvaging it. I hate to see good old equipment go to the dump.

Hope you can get it working, and looking forward to seeing the pics. [Linked Image]

P
Posted for Texas Ranger:
And finally the long promised pics of the Quelle Simonetta record player.

Pics #1 and 2 are top and bottom overviews. Pic #3 shows the 230V connector and the fuse holder. One of the metal clips is already missing and the red wire has solder marks on it that don't belong there. As you can see on pic 4 there are some parts missing...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-22-2004).]

H
From its name, this sounds French - is it? As a youngster back in 1973 I was sent on an exchange visit with a French family known to my parents in the Amiens area to improve my abysmal schoolboy French. The visit taught me my most useful phrase in French that they never taught you at school – “puis j’avoir ...” “can I have …”. Simply substitute one’s desires or just point (plus an s.v.p.) and constructive communication has been established [Linked Image] – anyway, I digress.

It was on this trip that I was attempting to play a French record on a French record player. I picked up the record arm and before I could place it on the record my finger touched some metal parts under it and I received a fair old electric shock. [Linked Image] It was not as bad as subsequent 240V ones received in the UK and I have (since learning such European subtleties on this board) wondered if it was a 127V to ground jolt.

Was mains voltage common at the styli of French, or for that matter, any record players?

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 04-22-2004).]

P
There were several brands of these cheap little players aimed at kids in the 60s and 70s here. I have magazines with ads for the "Starr Kinder 45", which from the name I assume was imported from Germany, and as the name implies, was designed solely for playing 7" 45 rpm records.

The slightly more upmarket versions of the time came in a vanity-style case, about 16" wide, with full 4-speed deck.

I don't ever recall seeing a design where the pickup connections could have mains potential on them, but knowing French wiring..... [Linked Image]

Quelle surprise! [Linked Image]

T
With the a at the end the name sounds Italian rather than French. Quelle is a large mail-order store, and the Simonetta line consisted solely of rebranded stuff from nameless or sometimes well-known manufacturers. Most of the radios for example were made by the Austrian HEA company, but some others were Philips.
This model even has the main switch on the 9V secondary side of the transformer. It's a cobined 33/0/45 speed-select/on-off switch that works both as an electrical and mechanical switch.
The motor is made by Lenco, a _very_ well-reputated Swiss record player company, so i'm wondering who actually made that player. Playing a 33rpm disc on it looks really weird since the thing is actually _smaller_ than a standard LP. The thing you put the record on is only 15cm in diameter.

P
Even a 7" would overlap that by about a half inch all round!

By the way, do you still call them 7, 10 and 12-inch records in Austria, or do you translate that to the nearest round number of centimeters in general speech?

Lenco is certainly very highly respected. I've had several Goldring-Lenco turntables over the years, and still have a couple of GL-75s. Made in Switzerland, with a very heavy turntable and excellent overall engineering.

T
17, 25 and 33cm records, but most generally singles and LPs. EPs are IIRC 17cm 33rpm records and Maxi singles are 33cm 45rpm ones. Can't remember any specific names for the 25cm ones and don't have too many of them.

Funky side note that just came to my mind: Late 70ies Ariola-brand LPs were known to squeeze as much music as possible onto a 33cm disc, which makes findinmg the tracks close to imposssible. Also hard to set the track marks when copying such a disc to MD.

P
Can't remember any specific names for the 25cm ones and don't have too many of them.
10" was the standard size for 78 rpm pop "singles," and the 10" LP was very common here in the 1950s -- I have dozens of them. The 10" version of the LP gradually fell out of use in the 1960s.

By the way, on the subject of 7" 45s, American and European discs came with the large (1.5") center hole, but British 45s were supplied with the standard small hole (same size as LP/78). Many pressings came with a center "spider," attached by three or four small links so that it could be pushed out to allow the disc to be used in a jukebox (which used the standard 1.5" fitting like the rest of the world).

There was a market for plastic adapters to allow "converted" ex-jukebox discs to be used on a regular turntable.

Now here is a flash-back for you English people!.
My sister had a 78 record that played a song about a "lightning-tree".
It was released in the late 1970's and it accompanied the TV programme here "Black-Beauty", a show about a horse.
Anyone care to comment on this one?. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard