ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Ok, forgot about the 78 discs. Shellacs as we call them. I have some really weird 78 rpm discs. I guess they are 70ies remakes of original ones, made of colored translucent flexible vinyl! Light pink, red, dark green,... Rio Negro, Tango by Juarez, Gellin &Borgström, Harmonica. B-side Tired Hands Waltz by Piantadosi, same musicians. (red disc)
"Go to sleep my little sunchild", Tango band Morello, "Your Mouth says no but your eyes say yes" (green disc)
Srenade by Toselli, orchestra Geza Komor, El Sacristan, Tango band Morello
Paris, tango by F. Canaro, A media luz, same artist (both pink).

Wow, Ragnar,
Being an Orchestral Bassist (with the Upright and Bow),I learnt Bass off old records like Mozarts Reqium and the Flight Of the Bumblebee, but when the CD came out, I was blown away by the sound quality of the older stuff, us guys had to play a lot better!. [Linked Image]

T
Those discs are cool and a real eye-catcher. i got them for free at some flea market. (As you might already have suspected I go to every flea market I know of [Linked Image])
Orchestral Bassist is cool! I just play ordinary guitar, gut and steel. My dad has an old bass he found and restored himself with the help of a cousin who builds instruments. I think they basically rebuilt the beast using some of the original parts.

P
There were some kids records (Nursery Rhymes and such like) made here in multi-colored vinyl in the 60s.

Although most people automatically think of 78s as being shellac, in fact some companies in Britain actually pressed vinyl 78s the last few years. The figures here show that "pop" singles sold in roughly equal quantities of 45rpm and 78rpm discs in 1957. By 1960, all the major labels had ceased production of 78s.

Here's a pic to illustrate the unusual push-out center of British 45rpm records:
[Linked Image]

The Decca-owned labels used a triangular center up until around 1959/60:
[Linked Image]

S
As you might already have suspected I go to every flea market I know of

Gawd I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so interested in this old stuff. [Linked Image]

Ragnar, keep an eye out for old radios for me, will you? [Linked Image] thanks.

T
I've got a few freinds who also like old stuff, but most people just think I'm nuts.
Sven: Maybe I'll part with the old Eumigette sitting in my basement. If it has surviived the fflood from our neighbor'S bath tub a few years ago you can have it. The Eumig model Eumigette was a mid-1950ies low-range AM/FM tube radio. I had it in my room for some time, but it worked intermittently, so I put it away. I'll have a closer look at it if I can get through all the other rubbish piled up in front of the shelf (IIRC there are loads of firewood, vintage car tyres, construction jacks, a trampoline,...). 'course the shipping to the US will be pricey.

S
Sounds cool. Thanks Ragnar. [Linked Image]

Car tyres? In your room or in your basement? [Linked Image]

If you look deeper you might even stumble across the car they belong to....the trick would how do you get it out of there. [Linked Image]

T
ROFLMAO!
In the basement of course. When my dad gave away his last Puch 500 car (similar to the Fiat 500 for those who are familiar European cars, but with different engine and transmission) in the late 70ies he kept a full set of tyres, and they're still stacked in our basement.
Right now all things are up side down here (we've been practically gutting our hallway) but I'll try to find the basement keys and then I'll have a look at the radio.
I remember I fitted a new cord with molded Euro plug for some reason, most likely the old cord was cut off (my dad found the radio in an attic when helping clear out the house of an old aunt who had passed away).
That house must have been incredible. He says they loaded our Mitsubishi van _full_ of clothes three times (!), and that still wasn't all. A lot of stuff was still in its original packaging, unopened.

C
I have an old SeaBreeze player (I think the motor is siezed). It is interesting in that the turntable is free spinning, with a rubber wheel coming up through the chassis to turn the record, and it slides in and out for the two record speeds. It has a valve amplifier that has a 25EH5 valve, which derives the filament supply from a tap on the motor. It has a selenium plate rectifier, and probably a Plessy branded dual capacitor.

Most portable record players sold into the 1970s used pretty well the same 25EH5 amp system. My mother had a Sstereo player that had 50EH5 tubes, whose filaments ran in serial with a ballast resistor from the 110V supply.

[This message has been edited by classicsat (edited 04-29-2004).]

T
Does the rubber wheel turn the turntable or the record itself? The rubber wheel-turntable arrangement was pretty common.
The Quelle player is full transistor and everything runs off 9V DC.
I still haven't tried running it with batteries, so I could at least determine whether he motor works or not.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard