ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#14038 09/14/02 10:55 PM
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=299650&ok=true

If the link works, I'm sparky66wv there too...

Some dude named Argile and myself disagree toward the bottom of the thread.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-14-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
sparky,

10 millivolts wouldn't push enough current through a wet noodle to allow 100 milliamps to flow. Regardless of the KVA rating.
You are right, sir.

S
Sparky, what the fark are you doing at that site? It's frustrating sometimes, that you can't reach your arms out someone's monitor and shake the fark out of them. I wonder what Argile's career in the electrical field is? I think he's out in left field.

Steve
C
Why don't you ask Argile to come over here to continue the discussion. We will be glad to help you straighten him out.

Curt

Curt Swartz
G
Sparky66wv,
DOOOOOOOOOOD, I love ya man, see what happens when you argue with an idiot? NOW you see why I stay away from DIY forums and the argument? The guy obviously knows enough to injure himself, and, IF WE'RE LUCKY, will remove himself from the gene pool and deprive us of his vast knowledge.

Of course you're right, now stay away from ding bats. [Linked Image]

D
Your right Sparky.

Throw a little bit of ohms law in your reply. This guy does have some stuff correct but the way I take it he thinks that a 10mV transformer is going to always put out its rated current no matter what the resistance.

There is his fatal flaw, he does not realize that even though the current does kill it requires a certain voltage to pass it through a certain resistance in your body.

Argile,
If you read this understand that typical human resistance values range from a few hundred ohms to thousands of ohms, typical values are stated to be in the 800-1000 ohm range.

If a human had a resistance as low as 500 ohms with 120v applied to the person simple ohms law will dictate that 240 milliamps will flow and could prove fatal.

With the same resistance (500 ohms) and 10mV only 20 microamps will flow. This wouldnt even be felt by most and I would not hesitate to play with it all day long no matter the KVA rating of the transformer.

BTW to get your bodys resistance down low enough that 10mA were to flow with 10mV you would have a pathetic and unrealistic 1 ohm.

Can you imagine a 1KVA 10mV transformer!! That puppy would be a hoss!! Even a 1VA 10mV transformer would be pretty large.

Thanks guys, he almost had me convinced that I didn't know what I was talking about!

[Linked Image]

George, I used you as a sledge hammer again...

(Hope you don't mind)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-15-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Ok i'm confused then...makes sense after a discussion that long and many points thrown out. [Linked Image] Yes i understand how ohms law works and that 1v shouldnt kill you, but in the same respect (this is pretty much what i was arguing on), how is it that people can have situations setup of extremely high voltage (like 10,000 volts), but low current with their body's resistance?

Welcome to ECN, Argile.

In the situation where large voltages with low current not causing harm, the circuit is limited either by the VA rating of the Xformer, or a resistor in line, otherwise the current would only be limited by the resistance of your body.

Electric Fences are a good example here.

The inverse is not true! Just because an Xformer has large current capacity, doesn't mean the circuit will "call" for all 100%. The current will flow according to the resistance, the voltage, and up to the available current limit.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
BTW, we have an international section too.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard