ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#140426 03/03/04 02:12 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
I just felt like posting the webaddresses of two different Chinese manufacturers:

Jovean & Rogy
http://www.jr-china.com/

These can't even spell English (sic!), but churn out ten million MCB's and RCD's a year. Few models and few certificates gives the impression of an honest business.

Then take Yuanky
http://www.yuanky.com

(Djk started a thread about them some time ago )

They can make anything you want. This company dares to places pictures of its facilities on the net and apparently has a quality control system. Clearly, they have a degree of professionalism. Yet they have twenty different ranges of technically identical MCB's and RCD's and aren't even ashamed of telling which brand manufacturer they have copied, e.g. "Hager Model C". If you call them, I'm pretty sure they will ask you if you want the Hager logo on it too.

This begs the question: How scary are the manufacturers who haven't got any homepage? How many millions of devices do those companies make each year? How many light switches are sold as circuit breakers?

China is one of the world's leading countries. Why don't they require that all electrical products that are made in the country be tested by CCC? (Note: Tested, not necessarily certified for sale in China.) It would improve the image of Chinese products abroad, raise the safety level within the country and in the long run help domestic manufacturers compete with foreign brand names.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-03-2004).]

#140427 03/03/04 02:41 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
I just checked the Yuanky website for the stuff we didn't like a few weeks ago. IT'S GONE!!! They have new photos and have removed the products which were the big offenders. The world is getting a little better each day, after all [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#140428 03/03/04 03:42 PM
:
cleared up

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 03-04-2004).]

#140429 03/05/04 09:58 PM
C-H,
Just having a look at that Yuanky site, worried me a tad.
I can identify about 6-7 of them types of MCB's as "Major brand" breakers that we use here.
The colours of the device bodies are the same!.
Just the actual branding is different, Oh and ours read Made in France/Germany/New Zealand.
Makes you wonder where the stuff does come from.
Also, I'd just like to ask how a company displays all those International Accreditations,
with no Licence No's to back up thier claims?
It wouldn't be the first time that an Asian company has been found to not have the stated accreditations. [Linked Image]

#140430 04/11/04 04:52 PM
Just FYI...

These guys aren't just plagerizing things from your side of the world... http://www.yuanky.com/cb-s-ge-p-mcb.htm
On the bottom row, center & left pics are indentical to the older version of this.. http://www.allbreakers.com/store.asp/pg!products/specific!jmqndrhno

The bottom right looks like a Federal Pacific (FPE) breaker... http://www.allbreakers.com/store.asp/pg!products/specific!jmpnjphmh8

(A footnote about FPE... This company ceased to operate someplace during the early 1980's for, from what I've heard, everything from false "UL" labels, losing their "UL" listing, to circuit breakers that will not trip under fault conditions.. OEM Breakers are available "rebuilt" by breaker houses like the one in the link.. They are typically tested by the breaker house themselves for proper operation... Not to mention they tend to fit into the panels better..This is why I'd rather buy rebuit VS. an offshore copycat!
PS... I never heard of this "Yuanky" brand here before this thread though... I wonder if they're marketing to our neighbor to the south, Mexico... (Mexico's building codes are a bit lax to say the least & unless it's an American company ordering the work, they seem to pretty much use anything they can find also!! A lot of our used surplus ends up down there)

-Randy

#140431 05/13/04 10:23 AM
:
@TRUMPY:

The breakers that look like european ones are definitve FAKES!

They all have the same mechanics inside, and these mechanics differ from the ones in an ABB, siemens, hager ect breaker. When you buy a breaker from a trusted dealer, its definitely not out of that factory.

BTW, the jovean&rogy breakers do have a breaking capacity of 3000 A. Ours here have 6000A (residential) to 25,000A (industrial)......

i've just seen that juanky even have motor protection breakers that look like the old siemens ones, and like those from telemechanique.

SCARY.

#140432 05/17/04 08:19 PM
F
The thing I find intriging is that they state they are VDE and ISO9001 rated!!

I think they need to eat more rice as they are obviously delerious.

No-onw will do anything though as they fear upsetting the Chinese..probably scared they will close all the Take aways! [Linked Image]

#140433 05/19/04 07:40 PM
:
isn't the iso9001 just a rating for the production process, an dnot for the product's functionality or quality?

and the vde, ........ thank god there are pc scanners......

#140434 05/20/04 05:21 PM
P
Yep. This page makes that very point.

Looking at some of this modern-day quality management stuff leaves me dazed. Frankly, most of it sounds more like a load of "psycho-babble" than anything useful. EIther that or it's stating common business sense.

Take a look at this page:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/iso9000-14000/iso9000/qmp.html

Leaders establish unity of purpose and direction of the organization. They should create and maintain the internal environment in which people can become fully involved in achieving the organization's objectives
To me, that sounds like something out of the old Soviet Union's propaganda!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-20-2004).]

#140435 05/21/04 06:53 PM
C
Liushi (Post Code: 325604) & surrounding (Post Code: 3256??) had BAD record in manufactures counterfeit LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE. Products in URL works and meets standard, but just ripped someone's design off. Personally, I won't buy ANYTHiNG from that area.
PS: Anybody interests in Chinese wiring practice?

Quoted from http://www.zjol.com.cn/gb/node2/node25/node259/node322/node324/u serobject7ai9262.html
Translated:
In 80's Liushi made counterfeit LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE and distribute it nationwide. Their backyard "factory" lowering the cost by such ways: 1: According to standard, contact parts of some appliance MUST use silver alloy, they use copper-nickel based alloys instead. 2. State false origin in their package such as Made in Beijing/Shanghai etc. to attract more customer 3.All LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE manufacturer need special license & product approvals by law. In Liushi only 1% had that license & approved product was less that 0.1%. People from Liushi made 30-50% more profit by these ways; they became wealthy men at that time.
They never know behind their wealth are bloody stories:
Heilongjiang- Coal mine explosion caused by an electrical spark
Xinjiang- A substandard ACB starts a fire while an electrician doing his work. He was seriously burnt sooner or later he became a cripple for life...
In 1990 China State Bureau of Technical Supervision (CSBTS) indicated that, they inspected 7,000 distributors, found out 1.7 million counterfeit or substandard LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE, total value was more than 30 million Yuan. These appliances mostly came from Wenzhou, Zhejiang Province, especially from Liushi Town, Yueqing.
In May 1990 General Office of the State Council issued a notice to investigate Liushi's biggest industry--LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE. Seven bureaus jointly investigated that town. 1267 retail shops close down. 1544 backyard factories ceased to operate. 359 business licenses revoked. The public security dept. brought 17 cases to prosecution, which involves 18 people. The Procuratorate's office prosecuted 26 cases, which involves 34 people. The Industry & Commerce Dept. prosecuted 144 cases.
After that crack down, manufacturer at that area began to make product that meets safety standard. Nowadays Liushi are the biggest LOW VOLTAGE APPLIANCE export base in China.
Questions? Ask

[This message has been edited by Cn_HK (edited 06-17-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard