ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
First of all 23 days in a row. WOW. I have always said when you work for yourself you would rather be busy than not. Have argile look at this link. The document is large but it has the information you are looking for. It backs up what you say on page 14. Let him argue with the Center for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-123/pdfs/02-123.pdf

Scott

Caution to all. This is a large file. 1.7M

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 11-20-2002).]

Scotts, linkie no workie... [Linked Image]

What did you search under? I've found 1192 under "electrocution"... Way too many to weed through during lunch hour.

Thanks.

Just double checked, actually Oct. 26th was my last day off, so this'll be 25 days in a row.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-20-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
I'm no engineer, but I did take DC and AC Circuit Theory in school.

Virgil, you said all that you had to: Ohm's law applies to everything!

You are wise not to waste your time on this matter. Time is too valuable!

Peter
S
I tried the link and it worked for me. I e-mailed it to you so hopefully you can get it that way. Cool website!
Scott

This Argile guy's gonna end up making me take a long lunch...

It's good to be the boss! - to paraphrase Mel Brooks...

I'll check it out and see...

Hmmm, my Acrobat reader must be out of date.

I'll see if I can find it in the search on the CDC Website Homepage.

Scotts, what is the page titled?

I'll try it with my reader already open...

Ahhhh... I'm downloading it with a Right Click and Save-As... I think this'll work...

Hour and a half lunch and counting...

I'm getting 1.7 Megs of something..

This'll take a while, I'm on dial-up!

[Linked Image]

Hey, It worked!

Yup, appears that 49V would be a minimum. Wish they'd come out and say it a little better though...

Thanks Scotts, I'm gonna read the whole thing when I get back home tonight.

I gotta get back to work now.

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-20-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
P
Virgil,
You are correct, sir! But we all knew that anyway..... [Linked Image]

Argile,
Ohm's Law is just as applicable to AC circuits as to DC.

The current which flows in an AC circuit for any given voltage depends upon the impedance of that circuit. Impedance is a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance, so it is true that the situation is a little more complex than for DC. That said, however, we were talking about that shock current that would flow through a human body, which possesses neither inductance nor capacitance is sufficient magnitudes to make much difference. In any case, the impedance of the circuit is still constrained by the overall series resistance, i.e. it cannot be less.

In other words, for 10mV to give rise to even a 10mA shock current, Ohm's Law dictates that the DC resistance or the overall AC impedance would need to be 1 ohm or less. The human body just isn't that conductive.

A
You are all sadly mistaken if you believe that for one ohm's law applies to AC as well as DC. Really, his main argument doesnt even take into consideration what i'm saying about a transformer...he's talking the voltage applied directly to you (though i believe he does at some point make the statement that the transformer idea is wrong...what a joke) But whether or not ohm's law applies isnt really the key issue. The guy is stating that a low voltage cannot kill you (which was his backup statement for "amperage isnt what hurts you"), while i'm stating that if coupled with the proper transformer, any amount of voltage can kill you! Even when applied to DC (though it would take a much higher amperage, due to the fact that DC when applied to a transformer only creates a small pulse of energy and the the field collapses). Like my entire argument on the post stated (until i started to get tired and a little confused :), this is exactly what they do with power transmission. They basically step up the voltage with the transformer, so as to step down the current. The reason for this is they want to be able to use a wire that's rated for a lower amperage. Why? Well if any of you are as good as you claim to be (which i'm doubting at this point, considering it appears that none of you have a grasp on the use of transformers and/or power transmission), then you would know that a larger amperage requires a larger wire (duh!). Therefore, a smaller amperage requires a smaller wire (which means less poles and whatnot that they have to put up to support the weight of the wire...if any of you have seen these things up close, they can get pretty big..).

C
You are all sadly mistaken if you believe that for one ohm's law applies to AC as well as DC.

Huh? How does Ohm's law not apply to AC circuits? Care to explain this one?

I guess all my teachers and textbooks are wrong. [Linked Image]

Peter
A
guess my teacher was wrong then...
however, the question of whose teacher is wrong is not the issue...

T
What a D5%$head !!!
Argile.... ,Did you listen to your instructor?Is he really as naive as you?
Give us something to support your theory/.

Donnie
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard