ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#140170 01/31/04 02:44 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
Here a couple of pics of our local pillar boxes, these are all generically designed.
This is the front cover on the box:
[Linked Image]

To the left of this pillar box you can see a dark grey looking wiring enclosure, can anyone guess what this is used for?.
Below we have the inside of the box:
[Linked Image]

This is 3 Phase 230/400V supply.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-31-2004).]

#140171 01/31/04 03:08 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Oh sorry,
What you cannot see, is the MEN point in the bottom of the box and a Busbar where the consumers Main Neutral connects to the System Neutral Busbar.
The MEN system is taken far too seriously here, even to the extent of circulating Earth Currents.
Also the English Electric (Brand name) fuses and holders are being upgraded to Hager brand Fuses etc, because, get this, even though the same two fuses have the same rating according to VDE, the English Electric fuses don't comply with the new EU directives for Electric fuses.
But also upon enquiring where the Hager brand of HRC fuses was manufactured, I was told Newcastle, I nearly fell over with fright.
Just how one sided is that, eh?. [Linked Image]

#140172 01/31/04 01:21 PM
P
It seems that spiders like that particular style of enclosure! [Linked Image]

Hager has become a popular braa of switchgear in the U.K. in recent years, although much of the stuff that I see is made in France.

What are the EU regulations that the English Electric fuses supposedly don't comply with? And since when has New Zealand been subject to European Directives, anyway? [Linked Image]

P.S. Is that Newcastle, England, or Newcastle, NSW ?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-31-2004).]

#140173 01/31/04 01:57 PM
D
djk Offline
Ireland's service fuses can be one of a few different types depending on the era the service was installed.

Very large single diazed fuses sealed inside clear enclosure (50A, 63A, 80 A)
British style holders as shown in that NZ picture although they accept IEC cylindrical fuses either 63 or 80 A.

100A is also possible with both systems but is relatively rare.

If you want a 100A single phase supply ESB networks has to do a local infrastructural survey.

Distribution systems were generally designed to mostly supply 63A single phase services with the odd 80A.

Older systems would have been designed around 50A single phase services !

If you need more power 3-phase is generally relatively easily availble and is occasionally used in large storage heating installations.

Various fuse systems are used in the minipilars depending on their age. BS, IEC and VDE approved.

Also, the consumer unit must be fused seperately.

E.g. the main board might have a 63A diazed or neozed fuse and the board for the storage heating might have another 63A fuse.

#140174 01/31/04 04:51 PM
B
Mike — Between the larger cable studs, are those places for {larger?} fuses?

The fuses seem like a good idea, but are almost nonexistent for such an application in the US.

p.s.: Spider webs in electrical gear can be a pain. These were in some rural 12kV vacuum circuit breakers. I think maybe sometimes they are drawn by the heat in electrical gear.

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-31-2004).]

#140175 01/31/04 09:39 PM
D
djk Offline
Can you disconnect from a pillar in NZ / US etc?

#140176 01/31/04 11:51 PM
B
Typically in the US, an unfused connector is used—above/pedestal or below-grade. There are also hydraulic-compressed versions. They can be made-up/disconnected hot, but not under load {with customer main switch open.}

Connections are usually behind pentahead cap screws to keep out the riffraff.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-31-2004).]

#140177 02/02/04 03:43 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
The EU directives over here are as large as life here for those that want to comply with the VDE regs, as we are all trying to conform with.
Bjarney,
These are built as Generic panels, there is a 1000A link behind the panel that you see there.
The wires from Left to Right are 170mm2 Aluminium.
djk,
Yes, we can disconnect from this point.
Please bear in mind that these enclosures are only accessible to PoCo workers (Faultsman), through the use of a security Key.
On the Right side of the Pic you will see 3 Hager HRC 63A fuse-holders, one for each house. [Linked Image]

#140178 02/06/04 11:06 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Oops,
Good lord there were some errors in that last post of mine. [Linked Image]
There are 5 63A HRC links supplying 5 installations.
There is also a 16A HRC link just below the cable joints that supplies a nearby Street light, as the Pilot wire for these is run in the same Underground Conduit as the Distribution Mains cables.
Djk,
Next to the Load-side wires at the bottom of the 63A fuses, you'll see laminated tags cable tied to the wires.
These tags enable a Faultsman to correctly identify the right installation to be repaired/disconnected.
At each metering point, there is a tag that matches one in the Pillar box.
Just saves the wrong people having the power interrupted in the middle of Coro Street!. [Linked Image]
Bjarney,
Is that one of them HV Roll-out circuit breaker trucks?.
One of them holders in the Pillar box is sporting a new 63A fuse, that's why I had the cover off this box in the start, it's just down the road from from my house.
The lady that lives there blew the Mains fuse when the Kettle element short-circuited.
Couple that with Tinned copper wire fusing that doesn't tend to co-ordinate that well with an HRC fuse and BANG, out goes the whole house!. [Linked Image]

#140179 12/26/05 02:44 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
BTW,
That Grey enclosure to the left of the pillar box is a telephone junction.
Reason I was reminded of these pics, was I can't believe how many of them telecomms junctions I've seen on footpaths here in the last 3 or so weeks, that are in a mangled or really poor state of repair.
Or more commonly, without the top cover. [Linked Image]
No wonder we have so many problems with telephones here when it rains for any length of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard