ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pauluk Offline OP
Perhaps I should have emphasized the difference in scales on these maps. The following might help both sides visualize the sheer vastness of North America compared to the relatively compact countries of Europe:

The U.K. would fit into the area occupied by Oregon with a little room to spare (94,283 sq. miles U.K. vs. 96,187 for Ore.).

The whole of the Republic of Ireland is only about 10% bigger than West Virginia.

Switzerland is only just over half the size of Maine.

Even France, largest country in western Europe, would fit into Texas and still leave a space about the size of North Carolina left over.

As for the Canadian provinces, Ontario alone is almost the size of Norway, Sweden, and Finland combined.

Let's not forget the very small countries in Europe.

Luxembourg is a mere 999 square miles, smaller than Rhode Island.

Tiny Andorra, at 180 sq. mi. is a whole country only three times the size of Washington, D.C.

P
pauluk Offline OP
C-H,
State flags are sometimes flown directly under the Stars & Stripes. A few of the flags have come in for criticism from some people in recent years, for example the flags of Mississippi and of Georgia . I traveled around Ga. extensively about 10 years ago, and I have several pictures from around the state with the "old" design incorporating the Confederate Battle Flag in the design.

Andy, Trumpy,
I've seen that map system used as well. I'm not sure if Bill would be able to implement anything like that.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-06-2004).]

thanks pauluk very good reference now I will delay in that purchase of a Globe . [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Here's an addition for our southern hemisphere members.

The Australian states and territories:
[Linked Image]

And major towns:
[Linked Image]

Major towns in New Zealand:
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-08-2004).]

Wow!,
Good maps of Australia and New Zealand Paul!. [Linked Image]
I had mentioned to Doug Wells that I was at a loss to find maps detailed enough to show towns and cities in both countries.
The town that I come from, Ashburton, is roughly just below the 'k' in Mount Cook on the map, the Rakaia river being that thin blue line that heads toward the sea.
BTW, Invercargill down South from here is the southern-most city in the world, I was there back in the early 90's as a Paid FF, I've never felt cold like it in my life, -10C was a warm day.
People were amazed when I hit Ashburton here and I was wearing a T-shirt in 4C weather (and pants, of course!).

P
pauluk Offline OP
I found out the true meaning of cold when I woke up on the Amtrak sleeper train and stepped out in to a crisp winter day in Cleveland. Never felt anything like it before, but if was sure invigorating.

I don't know what the temp was there in Ohio, but by the time I reached central Nebraska I remember the weather report saying it was -5F that night. It's a very dry and clear sort of cold though, and in a lot of ways more tolerable than the English damp and gray winter even though our temperatures don't get down that far.

Does Invercargill stay fairly dry with the Southern Alps catching most of the rain?

P
pauluk Offline OP
As the original U.S. map posted at the top of this thread shows only states but no cities, I went in search of a suitable city map online. I'm not inserting it in the thread directly as it's very wide image and will result in everyone having to scroll a lot, so click on the link below to view it. I'll add a link in the original post above as well.

Map of U.S. Major cities

Scott35 wrote:
State is apx. 740 Miles (1191 Km) as measured from Mexican Border @ extreme lower left "corner", to center of the Oregon Border.

Coming back from Oregon not long ago via I-5, I clocked 893 miles from Hilt,Ca (the very first "town" you come to..) to home here in Huntington Beach.. & I'm still about 100 miles from the Mexico border. I never realized there was about 250 miles of bends in betweeen [Linked Image]

As for Huntington Beach's location, I'm about ΒΌ inch southwest of Scott35's Location on the map.. I heard rumors that Electure was further north of us in the hills between Sunset Bl & Mulholland Hwy... Living on the same block as the "Fresh Prince" [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

-Randy
(edit 4 spelling)

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 08-10-2004).]

Paul,
Invercargill, is a strange kind of place, weather-wise.
You can have 4 seasons within the one day there.
But Winter is the season to witnessed there, freezing cold winds, straight from the Antarctic, rain drops like bullets, hail-stones like cricket balls and the usual dump of snow every winter.
Depressing it is, weather like this, but the Southlanders are a hardy bunch, lots of them have beards, you need one in that sort of climate!. [Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard