ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
I live in Salt LAke City, Utah.

Something you may find interesting is that that lake in the middle of our state is pretty big, but it was one time incredibley big. It is called the great salt lake, and is the saltiest lake in the world. It is what is left of lake Bonneville, a lake that covered nealry all of Utah and Nevada!!!

IF you've ever heard of the Bonneville salt flats (the place where the land speed records are always set), it is what is left of lake bonneville...basically just salt on the earth for as far as the eye can see.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
P
pauluk Offline OP
I would presume that it's the salt flats which led Pontiac to use the name Bonneville for one of its models (along with LeMans, Grand Prix, and other names associated with speed).

H
I've always associated 'Bonneville' with Triumph as in British motorbike!

Bonneville Flats lie in the middle of our 3½ hour journey to the 'big shops' in SLC. A most 'visually minimal' 40 miles between Wendover and The Knolls. For a Brit, imagine Romney Marsh without the pebbles for decoration! Sir Malcolm Campbell's name is mentioned on the plaque at the rest stop on the flats but the Utah Highway Patrol frowns on one doing more that 75 mph on I-80 across them! [Linked Image]

R
Tell me about...I got a speeding ticket there on my 21st birthday, en route to Wendover.

Where are you, Hutch?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
H
Directly above the center of the Earth!!!

[Linked Image from frontiernet.net]

USA gold mine country.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Hutch,
I know it's a little south of you, but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that U.S. 50 across Nevada was voted "Loneliest Highway in America."

By the way, you mentioned Romney Marshes, and I know you;re interested in steam. Did you ever ride the R.H.D.R. narrow gauge railway? I used to go down there when I was about 10 or 11 and loved it! [Linked Image]

R
You may find this link fun and interesting. I wish it extended beyond teh U.S.A., but it is pretty neat. I found my house, my work, and several other things.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
H
Ryan, Interesting site of air photos there. The ones for Elko are dated 1994 and I can see where my house will be built 6 years hence! Interesting to see what else has appeared in town since that date.

US-50, America’s loneliest road has indeed been traveled frequently by Hutch between Eureka and Austin – very often alone! [Linked Image]

Paul, I did the RH&DR once and do remember well the rather minimal scenery. Being from up north, my 15” guage railway of choice is the Ravenglass and Eskdale on the western side of the Lake District.

[threadjack] but – Keeping things electrical, has anyone been on Volk’s Electric Railway in Brighton, southern England? - the world's, oldest still operational, public, electric railway . [/threadjack]

Broom Pusher and
Paul;

Thumbs up on the posted U.S. Map!!! [Linked Image]

Using this Map, I'll try to reference where in California a few Members + myself, are located:

Electure and myself are located in the Southern part 'O California.
Draw an imaginary Horizontal line (X axis), from the center of the "O" on "Pacific Ocean" and running eastward.
At about 3mm (1/8") eastward from the Coast Line, you should see us!

Nick is found by drawing a line from center of the same "O", but offset upwards (North) by about 10º. At around 6mm (¼") eastward from the Coast Line, you should see Nick!

Bjarney is just above the "L" in "California"

The water inlet found above the "C" in "California" is the San Francisco Bay.

State is apx. 740 Miles (1191 Km) as measured from Mexican Border @ extreme lower left "corner", to center of the Oregon Border.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
I'm directly above the "o" in Illinois, about half the distance from the "o" to the WI line.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard