ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 518 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#140080 05/21/04 09:16 AM
D
This one's great, Mike. Neighbors dueling with exterior lighting!!! Exterior lighting here is low-voltage, or line-voltage (120 volt), or the two combined.

The low voltage is usually decorative, on the order of 7-10A bulbs at 12 volts.

Line voltage is usually for security, or lighting large trees, or to light the house from the yard. A typical installation would be with a timer, or motion-sensor. The better motion-sensors can be adjusted for sensitivity and distance. Unfortunately, they can't tell the difference between cats and people.

If my neighbor installed a 400W metal-halide fixture, I'd be tempted to call the building department, it's a commercial fixture, not residential.

Might I suggest some type of shield for the motion-sensor fixture, so that even though the cat sets it off, it won't shine into the neighbors bedroom.

The dream setup really depends on what you want in the decorative or security category. I have both. My dream control which I have finally found, but not yet purchased and installed (for the low-voltage) is a combination photo-sensor with timer. It goes on at dusk, and stays on for the number of hours set on the timer. No need to reset the timer for changes in sunset, or power outages!!!

Let us know how the battle of the watts goes.

Dave

#140081 05/22/04 12:11 AM
N
I am thankful my neigbors do not complain about my 1000 watt MH flood, but I like it off before 9:00 pm.(its used a couple times a month.)Leaving something on like that for spite is dirty pool.

#140082 06/07/04 06:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Well,
The great "light-off" came to a head tonight, and it was solved by good old Kiwi
reasoning.
Neighbours A and B were told to sort themselves out or one of two things would happen.
The police would be called and/or I would pull both of thier Mains fuses, all of us people in the general area are sick to death of all the arguing, ranting and raving about each others lights.
And now that I have ADSL, the phone rings while I am onthe Net, so, the donkey's back was broken, if I may coin a phrase. [Linked Image]
I'd had enough!.
So it was all sorted there on the spot, they agreed to get their lights looked at.

#140083 06/07/04 07:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
But getting back to the original topic if I may?.
You don't need a great deal of wattage to create a half decent lighting effect in a garden.
As Bill said above and I would tend to agree 50W dichroics can light a large area if positioned correctly.
Copper coated fittings with the Verdigris effect on them are selling like hot-cakes here.
And you hardly even notice they are there until they are switched on at night.
I'm pricing out a job at the moment to do as a Foreigner, while I'm on holiday and it will be a challenge, but, I'll also come away with some great before and after pics if I have things worked out properly.
Also, I'll be using the new Philips Plus line of 40W Dichroic bulbs. [Linked Image]

#140084 06/07/04 03:27 PM
P
The best thing i have come across lately are 150watt MBI lamps.. these are in various colours, mainly, blue, green, white, orange,.. superb for lighting effects in the garden, and low wattage but very bright,,

#140085 06/07/04 05:38 PM
P
Another item to add is the sets of solar-powered lights now on sale in man yDIY stores. The wattage isn't that great, but they do make some nice effects. Of course, you don't get a full charge during the middle of a British winter. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard