ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Hi y'all - been a while since I posted, but i've been lurkin' around [Linked Image] Happy new year to you all.

O.k. So i've spent a long time over the past months looking around trying to find out about part p. I have found many sites who claim to be the fountain of knowledge, and yet they all differ in some way or another. For instance, the quote from the NICEIC's website states "For the purposes of Part P, it is anticipated that the Government will define ‘Competent Firms' as those registered under the NICEIC Approved Contractor scheme"

And on other sites, I read that non NICEIC / ECA contractors simply inform the local Building Control office. Other sites says companies need to register under the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme.

This is most confusing, and worrying to be honest.

I have owned a small company near Gatwick (England) for over 10 years now, and I have always (and always intend to) refused to join the NICEIC or ECA, simply because I see local electrical companies paying so much money to be "one of the chosen ones" and yet my company is often called out to put right work which is cowboy, at best...... Of course, I am by no means attempting to tar all NICEIC/ECA firms with the same brush - I'm sure alot of sparks in those groups are brilliant electricians, but there are some who are not...... I guess my point is - why the hell should I pay this money, knowing full well it not worth a cent !

So..... I don't understand what's been approved for part P (if anything), when it will come into force (again, if indeed it is approved), and I wont join the NICEIC or ECA, so what's a firm to do ?

I read on a site recently (I cant remember the site, so please treat with a pinch of salt) that there are ~70,000 electricians in the UK, of which only ~11,000 are NICEIC members.

Is it early retirement for me ? (I'm in my early 30's !!) Or can someone please put me out of my misery, and shine some light on this situation.

For the record, I am fully qualified, and all of my sparks are also fully qualified, and all of my sparkies-mates are at LEAST part 1 qualified, and all bar one are taking their part 2 this year.

I have spent literally £1000's of pound having our own BS 7671 inspection forms designed and printed into duplicate books. I *am* running a good firm.

Also, I am fully FOR part P in principle - I sincerely hope it will put all the cowboys out to pasture - but somehow, I doubt it.

So - what does part P mean for the small company ?

Thanks for your time.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve|Uk (edited 01-06-2004).]

P
I haven't seen or heard anything more about the new rules since we discussed them here a few months ago. Personally, I very much doubt that they will have a great impact in this area at all, except for new construction.

I do not belong to the NICEC either, for pretty much the same reasons that you outlined. I work mostly in residential and very light commercial fields (small local shopkeepers), most of whom have never heard of the organization. Like you, I've also seen work performed by members of the group the standard of which falls far short of what I would deem acceptable.

S
Hi Paul,

Yes, I'm led to believe that alot of sparks are leaving the NICEIC for similar reasons. What a shame that the NICEIC, through their own website, and through an artical late 2003 in Professional Electrician are implying that only NICEIC sparks will be "legal".

As for the implications of Part P, it's relatively comforting to see that no-one here knows any different, and therefore nothing could be set in stone, yet......

Best wishes

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve|Uk (edited 01-07-2004).]

C
C-H Offline
Would that even be legal to require? It's a bit along the lines of "To get a state job, you need to be a member of the party". It would also lock out foreign electricians who are qualified to work on British installations, i.e. have the relevant British exams etc. I don't think Brussels would be amused.

L
The requirement is simply that you need to be competent. There may be various ways to proove such competency, one being that you are a member of the NICEIC or ECA. For those not in such organisations then you will need to register under the Electrotechnical Assessment Scheme.The government agreed scheme uses much the same format as the NICEIC.
This should be good news for those practicing in the domestic side of our industry!
Steve, if you are on the ball perhaps you could indeed retire earlier- but with more money!

regards

lyle dunn

Link Copied to Clipboard