ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mkdaiv Offline OP
Hi all again
Havent posted here in a while, but now I need your expert help (again!!).

I have a Creda Condenser Tumble Dryer model 37747. 1st 2 digits of serial number are 57. I was told this was important because of the year of manufacture of the machine would affect which thermostat I need.

Anyways, recently the TD has not been giving out any heat, which was a problem a few years ago. I had a guy come out who charged me £65 to replace the thermostats, which I later found out only cost £17 from a local electrical shop. This time I want to have a go myself, but as always, need some guidance.

I spoke to the local shop and bought the replacement thermostat(s) quoting the TD model number and serials 1st 2 digits (the shop guy made it easy) - there are 2 'things' in the pack. One has a red dot on it, one has not.

They look like this -O-

Now when I opened up the back of the dryer, I immediately saw where these connectors had to go. Now whilst they looked the same, the ones already in the dryer : 1 had a red dot, and one had a blue dot.

I replaced the red dotted one with the new red dot one I had just bought, and did the same with the other.

A quick description of the wiring, as if you were looking face on at the panel. The connector on the left (red dotted) had 2 pink wires with a plug on to attach to one side of the connector, and 1 blue wire for the other side.

The other connector (on the right - originally with blue dot - now without) has one brown cable connected to one side, and 1 orangy wire connected to the other.

I simply copied the original wiring but have a couple of reservations.

Was the blue dot significant on the old thermostat? and is there a particular way these thermostats should be wired, as there seems to be no guidance, apart from how it was wired before?

By asking this I mean, I know for example, the double pink wires (into one connector) and blue wire attach to the thermo on the right hand side, BUT, is there a preference as to which connector on the thermostats they connect to?

I tested the tumble dryer and it seems to work ok, but I just wanted to clarify these points before actually using day to day again.

Many thanks in advance

Daiv

M
mkdaiv Offline OP
Here is a link to a (poor) graphic of what I am talking about. Maybe it will help.
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/daivcarpenter/dryer.htm

mkdaiv,
I don't think that it is actually Thermostats that you are referring to.
I think you may be talking about Klixon thermal overloads.
The coloured dots refer to the set temperature that they operate (open)at.
Hope this helps. [Linked Image]

M
mkdaiv Offline OP
Hi Trumpy
I looked up Klixon and that seems to be 'a' name for what I am on about.

Just another bit of info : the coil/element (the long spring looking thing) is heating up and clicking off, which seems normal.

The pack I bought has a label on it which says "Thermostat Kit" with the number 1701557 on it, if this helps.

P
You did right by asking for the correct devices for the specific make and model.

In general, simple thermostat elements and thermal cut-outs such as these with just two terminals can be connected either way round.

M
mkdaiv Offline OP
Cheers Paul. That pretty much tells me what I really needed to know. With all this positive/negative business in electrics you can never be too sure [Linked Image]

Do you know if the blue/red dots have any significance?

I'll go away soon....I promise!!!

P
As Trumpy said, the dots are most likely just codings for the temperature settings.

Different manufacturers can use varying schemes, so if the replacements are not original Creda items, that would explain the missing blue dot.

M
mkdaiv Offline OP
OK many thanks. The dryer is on and clothes are drying!! YAY!!!

Thanks for helping me save £40 odd quid and learn something in the process!

(y)

Link Copied to Clipboard