ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Posted for Texas Ranger:

Finally got to taking some images of old stuff.

First there are 2 pics of the old Frimatic fridge.

'#1 is just an overview of the bottom back area, #2 is a close-up of the compressor terminals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-22-2004).]

C
That is old! In the US, there were Frigidaire cabinets that had the vertical compressor like that. I wonder if Frigidaire made that compressor. I'm still waiting to hear back from someone about the number MRA2959 to get a replcmnt number 4 u.
was there also a relay attached to the compressor terminals or was that outside the compressor terminal area? I think that you said that you figured out how to remove the overload by removing the shiny plate that surrounds it. are there any other photos of fridge, like cabinet, information plate, any motor information(FLA, LRA, cal or Kcal or Watts)? We might be able to back into it that way. If there is a relay, are the terminals numbered(1,2,5) or letter ID(L,S,M)?

T
There is a relay at the bottom of the compressor terminal box. In the first pic you can see the red and the yellow wire leading to the relay. I'll take some moire pics today. There are indeed at least 2 name plates, one of which has an almost illegible Compressor number on it.
Yes, you have to remove the shiny plate, but the screw head is stripped. I'll try to chisel it away or use any other brute-force method to get it out. I guess one screw should be enough to hold the plate in place afterwards.

P
More pics from T-R:
Here are 2 close-ups of the relay. The terminals are conveniently located at the back ;-) so it was impossible to read any markings. Plus it's held in place by the very same stripped screw as the thermal
cutout.

It has 2 wire leads (yellow and black) and a screw terminal for the incoming wire from the terminal block (red). The name plate is not very informative and almost illegible due to the bad stamping. The letters are slumped, one over another,... Anyway, that's what i could read:

BLOC HERMÉTHIQUE FRIMATIC
Mod. 140 Chassis No. DT71271
Comp. 60M 1248885 Volts: 220 P/S: 50
Maybe the compressor number is of any help.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
The Klixon is out! My dad managed to get the crew out, so I could take a close look at the relay and the thermal cutout. The cutout has a screw terminal labeled "1", a spare terminal "2" and a wire link "3". It's a MRA2959. There are 2 patent numbers on it and somethin that looks like "I 60". Could that indicate a temperature?
The relay doesn't have any legible markings on the terminals. I've hardly ever seen a piece of electrics that was documented that badly.

C
sorry, I was out of town- I will check on that cross reference for the klixon # again. Thermal overloads are rated as a part of originial compressor manufacturer design and are very difficult to match or rate- there's not a lot of info. If I was doing this for a customer, I would not want to "re-engineer" the protector. The application depends both on current draw and temperature of the dome. There are some package units in the US that claim to replace both relay and overload with a *new* solid state relay/overload combination.
Here they are: http://www.supco.com/images/09%20relay%20&%20hardstarts.pdf -- this would be PRO series on bottom of page 9-3 http://www.supco.com/images/09%20relay%20&%20hardstarts.pdf -- this would be URO series on middle of page 9-5

If we can't get a direct match, these might do, I didn't remember if there was a watt or amp rating or maybe even a direct HP rating for the motor. We could back into the HP rating through any of these. Based on the age of the unit, I think it might be worth a try to consider these aftermarket items. SUPCO isn't a bad company. Do you have access to a refrig/hvac supply there? Are you in France?

C
Hey T-R, I'm going to see my Tecumseh(compressor manufacturer) rep monday, I'll run the number by him too.

T
Thanks Chi spark!
No, I'm not in France, I'm in Austria, probably that company didn't sell too many of those refrigerators here, so it's extremely hard to get spares. My only idea at the moment is to take the old cutout and all information I have to the "old appliance magician" and ask him for spares. He's known for fixing _anything_, but not cheap. I think he'd even rewind the motor of your kitchen mixer if you asked him to do so. Only it'd probably cost more than a new one.

T
Whew!
More than five years after the initial post I gave myself a kick up my lazy behind and got a replacement Klixon at a local spares place. Prices vary greatly, one company charges €24, I got mine for 6. Unfortunately these things are out of production and getting increasingly rare. Might even try to put the old fridge back together today!

Wish me luck I still find the screws after 5 years... wink

The new door gasket is going to be expensive - almost €35.

Finally, the beast will need a fresh coat of paint... somebody (not calling any names ;)) painted the exterior an extremely sick yellowish brown.

D
djk Offline
I did a little bit of Googling for French classic appliances and found a website owned by a guy who seems to restore and collect old French washing machines. Perhaps you might be able to get some advice from him ?

http://www.lamachinealaver.com/accueil.htm

Last edited by djk; 01/13/09 09:10 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard