ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
djk Offline
Is it possible that the gas has leaked out of it?

It would explain why the compressor won't start if there is no pressure detected it might just trip out automatically?

Over here Fridges have to go back to a recycling centre where the gas is extracted and disposed of safely. I think it's either passed through a special incinerator or a chemical scrubber.

T
Yesterday I had another good look at the back of the fridge. Under the terminla cover of the compressor there are the following things: A pice of equipment labeled Klixon M(or maybe N)RA 2969 with one wire going in and one coming out. At the bottom there's some coil with 3 terminals. 1 wire goes back to the main terminal block and 2 wires come out. Between the 2 things there are 3 terminals where all the described wires go. If i manage to remember where I put my digicam I'll take a picture.
Any idea what that Klixon thing is? Google didn't return anything with that special model number. The component itself is inside the can, only the terminals are accessible.

:
have a look at these sites
http://www.ti.com/mc/docs/precprod/docs/

look at their thermal sensors and thermal circuit breakers.

http://www.carbonbrush.com/klixoncircuitbreakers.htm

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 12-05-2003).]

Ragnar,
DONT throw that fridge out yet!!!.
The Klixon that you refer to is a Non-Resettable Over-Temperature device.
Replace it and re-test the fridge.
Just as a passing comment Ragnar, was this fridge plugged straight in after being moved?.
There is a really good chance that the Compressor may have gone, out on overload, through the imbalance of Refrigerant inside the Compressor.
On the Compressor, there should be 3 terminals labelled C, S and R.
Or 1, 2 and 3 respectively.
These are Common, Start and Run, the windings being in Parallel, the difference being that the Current or Voltage-held Relay opens the Start winding, instead of the traditional Centrifugal switch, as in the normal Split Phase motor.
Ragnar, my advice to you would be this:
  • Short out the Klixon, or even take it out of circuit.
    The worst you can do here is take out the supplying circuit OCP, if the Compressor does not start.
  • Also short the Thermostat out too and work from there back, if you can't turn the Compressor on and off with the Thermostat, it's faulty.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-06-2003).]

S
Any updates on the fridge, Ragnar?

T
Nope, I put it aside. maybe after christmas. Just too busy right now.

Ragnar,
Had a good look at that fridge?.
I'd be interested in your comments. [Linked Image]

C
Hello Ranger- Trumpy is correct in identifying the compressor terminals. There should be three terminals in a ceramic bossthat feed the motor in the hermetic dome(tin can) you can ring these out with an ohmmeter- there should be some ID for run-common-start, if not, the small klixon biscuit(actually a thermal overload) is connected to the common. Place meter lead on any 2 terminals to check for open windings and then check each to compressor housing to check for grounded windings. if you get a resistance form all terminals, and open to ground, then your motor should be intact. If the refrigerator was tipped on its side during the move, it should have been left to stand up for 24 hours before starting to let the oil return to compressor. Is this compressor on bottom or top of cabinet? If it was started too son or with oil out in system, it may be cooked. if your ohmmeter readings are ok, check resistance of overload- should not be open at room temp. if overload shows continuity, then maybe worth a try to get a new relay(other "coil thing"). Good Luck 2 U

chi spark,
Welcome to the board, mate!. [Linked Image]
And coming into the frey, with darned good comments, too!.
What more could we ask for eh?. [Linked Image]

Chris (chi spark),
Do you have experience in Refrigeration Gear?.
If so, join the club,mate!.
I've worked on various sized Plants from Domestic fridges up to multi-kW freezer plants on both the Electrical Control and Gaseous Charging/Pump-Down of the said systems. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard