ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#139575 12/06/03 05:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
djk,
You'd think that with an appliance like this, (ie: having a full metal body) that you require the thing to be earthed or is the motor assembly fully Double Insulated?.
Don't worry mate, we have the Tellus brand of the very same vacuum cleaners here and they have the exact same connectors on them.
[Linked Image]

#139576 12/07/03 10:39 AM
D
djk Offline
The connector has a springy metal scraping earth contact on both sides of the plug. Rather schuko-like. However I think newer versions of that machine were fully double insulated despite the aluminium body shell the motor was plastic housed.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-07-2003).]

#139577 12/09/03 10:29 PM
M
I repaired VCR's (stop laughing) from 1989 until 2001. For the first few years I was the hero- the guy that would only charge $150 to replace the video head, belts and whatever else on that $500 VCR and get it back to snuff. I'd get a bottle of booze at Christmas, complements, repeat business, etc. The last few years I was the $%^%$# who would have the 'nerve' to charge "a poor little old lady" $39.95 for a cleaning, minor alignment, maybe a belt or two, 'cause "I CAN BUY THAT FOR $79.95-- WHY WOULD I FIX IT?!?" I went from hero to screw in just a few short years. So I know exactly what you mean, Trumpy. I got to where a "just fix it" meant giving an estimate in advance (then duck and run). Pauluk (and all)- once, about 5 years ago, I started adding up the parts out of our dealer cost price list from a well known brand of $99 VCR. Just the video head/cylinder could approach the retail price of that VCR. I lost interest after my calculations topped $2000 to build that VCR from parts. It's no wonder no one wants anything fixed anymore. Now stop laughing, I don't fix 'em anymore. [Linked Image]

#139578 12/10/03 06:05 AM
P
Welcome to the forum Mickey.

I know exactly what you mean. I set up in business for myself repairing radio, TV, VCR, CB, marine radios and whatever else came along back around 1986.

These days I'll look at cheap domestic equipment for friends and neighbors as a favor, but even then, that cheap £49.95 VCR from the supermarket isn't usually worth spending any time on, unless it's something very simple. As for repairing them on a commercially viable basis, forget it.

It's ironic to think that in these modern times in which we're always being told to conserve resources, think of the environment, and so on, that so much of this equipment ends up as landfill for the sake of a couple of parts and an hour's labor.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard