ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13945 09/14/02 06:59 AM
A
AndyC Offline OP
First of all this is my first post so hello everyone.
Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this but here goes.
I'm a fully qualified electrician working in the UK. I have family and friends who live in Dayton Ohio.It's always great to visit but it would be better if I could stay there.
If any one has any info on how to transfer my UK skills and qualifcations to US equivalents,I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

#13946 09/14/02 09:04 AM
P
Hi Andy,

I think you may have quite a hard time just getting a license issued on the basis of existing U.K. qualifications. If you have a browse through many of the older threads at ECN you'll see that in the States licensing requirements vary considerably from state to state, and even county to county and city to city.

You'll be fine on basic theory of course, but U.S. wiring is sufficiently different to Britain that you'd probably have to take a while to learn the intricacies of the NEC and American wiring before taking any of the exams.

We have a few ECN members in Ohio, so maybe they'll be able to give you some specifics for that state.

The other problem you'll face is getting a work permit and going through all the hassle of dealing with the INS.

#13947 09/14/02 10:54 AM
AndyC,

Welcome to the Forum! Always nice to hear from another new person.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#13948 09/15/02 07:51 AM
S
welcome AndyC.

the 2002 NEC, for the first time, states on it's cover that it is an

'International Electrical Code'

it would be nice to have our overly-beuaracratic trade follow suit and extend a few engraciating legalities in this direction also...... [Linked Image]

#13949 11/15/02 06:27 PM
A
im a bit late on this one but im from the uk.i was actually a traffic signal engineer back home and when i came here i sort of stumbled into working for an ec. as was said earlier, the basics you will be ok with but the code side here is a lot different than in the uk. your best bet would be to get yourself a copy of the code handbook www.nfpacatalog.org the order code for the book is w7. thats the code handbook to nec, which is the basics but changes are made depending on where you work. this book has a lot of explanations about items in the code and is a bit easier to get your head round, you need to check with the area you want to work in to find out about any changes. but prior to that you will need to battle with the ins. they frustrated me in more ways than one and my wife is american.......go figure.

good luck......

#13950 11/15/02 08:52 PM
P
PJM Offline
Hi AndyC

Like yourself, this is my first post, so a big hello to everyone also.

I emigrated from the UK to the US in April this year, and whilst I have found many differences from the IEE regs, it is not that difficult to become familiar with the NEC, (although some of the working practices take a bit of getting used to...).

I managed to get here on an E31 employment visa, which was sponsored by the (small) company I now work for, and the process from job interview to visa issuance took over 30 months. If your family are closely enough related to you, your visa could be issued far quicker.

I am fortunate enough that my employer holds weekly code quizzes, and gives us both time and payment for attending local electrical league seminars etc.

After 22 years as an electrician in the UK, it is a refreshing change to be working in dry weather, but you will have to get used to people saying you have an accent. (Which, being from Scotland, of course I don't!).

Link Copied to Clipboard