ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
[Linked Image from homepage.ntlworld.com]

Prompted by mention of this in another thread, I did a search and found this website about London's Post Office Railway.

The site has many interesting photos of stock and equipment, including some historical pictures from the 1930s.

The "Operations" page also has a brief description of the electrical systems used by the railway.

It's well worth a browse. [Linked Image]

That's really something Paul. [Linked Image]
I saw a documentary on DW TV about a year ago about an underground network, in Germany, run by compressed air, to send mail and other stuff in sealed containers between buildings, but I've never heard anything of it since.
Apparently, there also used to be a system used in the UK in multi-storey Commercial buildings that used a Vacuum system to transport money and other things between floors, have you ever heard of this?. [Linked Image]

S
Ahh yes. Mail tubes. Various department stores here in the USA use those canisters shooting through conduit to bring cash directly to the registers. IKEA and Home Depot come to mind.

The vacuum mail tubes were big around the turn of the century. There were people in the mailrooms whose job was to sort and send out small envelopes in these canisters to the different departments. Most of the mailrooms would be located in the basement.

I've heard that here in the Financial District section of Manhattan, there was a network of large mail tubes to send correspondence and small packages underground. The last I heard was that some telecom utilities wanted to use sections of these abandoned pipes to run telephone cables. Don't know whatever became of this.

T
Oh yeah, that was called pipe mail here. It's still used in Vienna's biggest hospital. There they have little tube-shaped canisters.

D
djk Offline
Supermarkets and even small convenience stores here in Ireland use those tubes to transport cash around the store. It makes sense to keep the tills emptied regularly from a security perspective and avoids someone having to go around from till to till collecting it.

Paul,
Sorry about the threadjack.
I was just having another look at the Maintanence section and I read that they actually turn the rails around from time to time, to even out the wear on the rails.
That's good thinking. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
The vacuum-tube system was also used by some of the big London department stores in the past.

Mike,
It's a little ironic that you mention the track maintenance. This is in the news here at the moment after increasing numbers of derailments on our mainline railways in recent years.

London is still recovering from a whole series of recent derailments on the Underground (subway) system:
http://www.iht.com/articles/114345.html

C
About 12 Yrs ago, I knew of an old family high end dept store that at the time used
pipe mail. One of the home reno prorammes used one to transport "beverages" around the house.

G
I think the mail tube systems are still available. Our local Tesco, which is quite modern, has some such system running from the tills. I suppose its a good secure way of transporting cash off the shop floor. This system also has some element of electronic control, as there are coloured LEDs at each station.

Paul,
We are heading into the Railways "de-railment" season over here, namely Summer.
Oddly enough Paul, there are a lot of Electrified Rail systems in the North Island here, but Diesel still features well down here in the South, there is no such thing as an Electric Rail system in the South, if you discount the Trams in Christchurch!. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard