ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
I am copying this from a post at Bob V site. This gave me a little chuckle.
"I also highly recommend Black & Decker's "Complete Guide to Home Wiring." It's so well-explained, it makes me feel like an electrician"

G
ME TOO!!!!!!! ME TOO!!!!!! That happens to be where I learned the trade. It came with a drill, and the drill came in a cereal box. I don't know WHAT I would've been if I hadn't bought that cereal. [Linked Image]

S
<whif>
ahhh....
...the smell of rotting equestrian fills the forum.....

did i mention i have a complete Time/Life set?

they are all over 10 yrs old (remnants of my slumlord days) yet there exists no disclaimer in them as to the evolution of codes....

Uh, actually, I have a copy of said B&D book... It's actually half-way decent with no major errors that I've seen...

Taking one from complete ignorance to master electrician level in 40 easy steps is not what it does, however...

I acquired the thing somewhere along the line (read: I didn't actually pay for it)...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-13-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
It's better than some advice given. [Linked Image]

Roger

E
I saw that book in a customers house yesterday. They tried to replace a ballast in a light and couldn't get it to come back on. Turned out the light was on the load side of a tripped GFI outlet. Apparently the book didn't cover that one. [Linked Image]

I personally think that the new B&D Book {recently revised}, is one of the better publications for DIY's.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-27-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
J
I have to say that it is one of teh better looking books available. Local library has a good variety, and it definetly is put together well. Codes you couldnt learn though.

Nice Illustrations Joe,

I haven't seen this book yet.

Bill

Bill
E
Just to be clear I was not making fun of the book but rather the statement. I too have seen the book and it is a great book. I also agree that this is a far better approach to a diy project than asking for advice at the local big box store. Went to orange one the other day and asked for the best exterior primer they had. Guy tells me how great this stuff is and how happy I'll be with it. "And I can use it for exterior" ?. "Absolutely". Quote from label " For interior use only" !!! Over to elec dept. Looking for Sq D QO arc fault 15 amp breaker. They have 20 amp only because nobody uses 15 amp. I proceed to tell him that 99.9% of bedroom circuits around here are 15 amp, much to his surprise. "Well you don't need them anyway they did away with that code"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard