ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#139069 10/18/03 05:30 AM
P
Ok anyone watching the rugby??

My bets on an England.. New Zeland final..

Thoughts??

#139070 10/18/03 10:44 AM
R
Well, my thoughts as an American are this: I wish we had more exposure to rugby here in the states. One channel here airs a match about once a month. Rugby is a great game, I only wish I could view it more often.

I don't think it will happen for a while though, as soccer (the most popular game in the world) still doesn't get much air time here.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#139071 10/19/03 08:37 AM
P
Ah, the game in which one person runs with the ball and everybody else tries to flatten him...... [Linked Image]

Can you tell I'm not sports minded at all? [Linked Image]

#139072 10/19/03 08:57 AM
R
OOPS!!! I forgot the difference in language. I meant to say football (which we call soccer), as in world cup and Pele.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#139073 10/19/03 09:48 AM
P
Oh dear,, didnt get much intrest there!!!

The USA have a rugby team, i think they play tomorrow..Monday..

I have to say though American football does seem boring, they stop every 30seconds for a chat about it, the game must go on all day.
Big F1 fan myself

#139074 10/19/03 09:58 AM
R
Paul you saying that American football is boring would be blasphemy to most Americans!!! I can understand your perspective, but I myself love it. I have season tickets to the local college team and look very much forward to the games. I can see your point though, it does move a bit slow.

I find myself watching more hockey than anything these days, especially with the addition of European players in the NHL. The European style seems to be more focused on speed, agility and grace and less focused on senseless brutality, which is a great step forward. I say keep sending your players across the Atlantic...we need them!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#139075 10/20/03 01:05 AM
Well there PaulC, [Linked Image]
It would be rude not to post a reply here, considering that I come from Rugby-mad New Zealand!. [Linked Image]
We are all behind our All Blacks team and although we do have a few injury worries, I reckon that, we might actually have a chance of winning the Webb-Ellis trophy this time, we nearly got there last time, but the French beat us in the semi-finals.
Australia are looking a wee bit lack-lustre at the moment, but this will soon change as the competition hots up.
I'd like to see a UK-NZ final though, it would be a really hard fought game too, which is what Rugby is all about!. [Linked Image]
I played Rugby all through my school years and for a couple of years after, but it eventually took a sideline to Cricket, the sport that I really enjoy (watching these days!).

#139076 10/20/03 01:07 PM
G
OK, I'll stir this pot. AS AN AMERICAN - if they were playing football in my backyard, I'd only go out to tell 'em to get off the grass - BOOORING. And yes, I did play in High School, could never figure out WHY those chumps were sitting in the stands, heck, I only came for the after game fights [Linked Image]

Rugby - that's the game where you get equal enjoyment from punching yourself in the mouth, while a good friend knees your groin, right? Whoooweee, who wouldn't like that. [Linked Image]

Now as for soccer. That appears to be every bit as exciting as tennis. Lemme see, they're down there, no, they're up here... don't get no better than that, every bit as exciting as golf on TV. At least when Gerald Ford played, SOMEONE was gonna get hurt. (for those of you who ain't 'merican, Ford was one of our clutzier Presidents, hit a lot of spectators in the pursuit)

Guess you could say I'm not a sports fan, but just could not help putting in my 2 cents in.

#139077 10/20/03 05:01 PM
P
Many British males seem to be obsessed with soccer, but to me it's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a muddy field. What's to get excited about? [Linked Image]

I'm sure we must have some ECN members who remember Bob Newhart's wonderful comedy sketches. I have a track on a 1960 album titled "Nobody Will Ever Play Baseball," depicting what might have happened in trying to sell the game to a modern marketing man.

"You have a new game? How many couples?

Well, that's against you for a start. The average game is maybe two or three couples, they come over to the house, get a little smashed and......

Oh you can't play it in the house, huh? Well, that's against you too..."

#139078 10/20/03 07:42 PM
G
Paul,
I have a few records that were my mothers.
First Family - a spoof on the Kennedys and Camelot (taboo after 11/63)

and Andy Griffith's "What it was, was Football"

Hilarious. I'll post a joke I got today along the same lines tomorrow, it's on my e-mail at work. Lotsa people did not know Andy started out as comic whilst matriculating at UNC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard