ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#138825 09/28/03 05:12 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
It is with great disdain that I post this message.
I will (so I am told by my Medical Practicioner) never work on Lines again or do Faults work, unless I sit a very substantial Physical and Mental test as to my way of thinking.
Apparently, I am ready to go back to General Wiring work, but I will never do Lines work again, how can a guy like this say this.
I really HATE messing around in an office ALL day and talking to all the Lines people doing the work!. [Linked Image]

#138826 09/28/03 05:54 AM
I
I am sorry to hear that Trumpy, but given the alternative it will not seem that bad.

When ever some one would kid my Dad about getting older the standard response from him was "It's better than the Alternative"

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#138827 09/28/03 07:51 AM
P
Sorry to hear that Mike. As Bob said though, "It's better than the alternative."

I suppose you might also be kind of glad when it's not you getting called out at 2 a.m. in the middle of winter to climb a pole in a muddy field!

But I do understand the frustration of not being able to do what you enjoy the most. I was restricted in my activities after surgery for just a few weeks, and it wasn't easy to just sit around.

#138828 09/28/03 09:47 PM
S
Mike, I don't get it.

It was a heart attack.

Why do you have to take a psychological test?

I can understand the Physical.

Could it just be to see if your brain is up to the metal stresses of the job also?

Paul's got a point though....at least you don't have to be on call 24/7...

#138829 09/28/03 11:30 PM
G
Mike,
I have a great deal of empathy with you, and you know where I'm coming from bro.

When I took the engineering position in 99 it was basically cause my knees just couldn't do it anymore - I knew this one day I was leaving work and could not kick my bike over, had to get another guy to start it, really embarrasing, I NEVER had to have anyone do anything for me before, just the way it goes.

If you survive the first emergency, you'll do fine. I remember the first storm came through and I'm pacing the house for hours worried to death about the guys out there, knowing they were better off without having to worry about how my hooks got upside down.

Hang in bro. At some point you'll actually go "Man, it's so warm in here, and SO cold out there" "Somebody bring me another log in here, I'm getting chilly" Life ain't over, slick....just altered slightly. When I turn and growl, they still back up, betcha you'll find the same.

#138830 09/29/03 12:04 AM
B
Trumpy — Plan to share your experience and material that made you trained and qualified to safely work on >415V systems. You know the “rules” that make the approach to medium- and high-voltage maintenance different, and that momentary lapses in judgment can cause very serious problems so much greater and unforgiving than with low-voltage systems. Scaling the understanding of inside wiring to “outside” wiring is not always intuitive to others, and an important thing to do now is logically convince less familiar that there’s not an obvious correlation. Ohm’s law holds for both ends of the spectrum. Never forget that the numbers can be massively different, and unfortunately there are striking examples {in the form of tragic accidents} that repeatedly bear this out, and can irreversibly occur in a heartbeat.

#138831 09/29/03 01:42 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah,
I guess I am over-reacting. [Linked Image]
The alternative WOULD be worse, but I don't really like being cooped up in an office, I guess this was why I became a Liney in the first place, to work outdoors.
It's just going to take a wee bit of getting used to.
In the meantime, I'm getting real GOOD at Solitaire!!. [Linked Image]
Sven,
As anyone around me knows, I am quite highly-strung(or at least I was before my H/Attack), just stressing out on the smallest of things.
Thankfully things have changed for the better, I really couldn't give a Monkey's these days!, just whatever comes these days.
Before my attack I was really stressing, I actually said a few things to a few guys at work that I now regret, but it was thier fault for not having things done on time, shouldn't have flown off the handle like I did though!!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-29-2003).]

#138832 09/29/03 06:17 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for the support guys.
I WILL be going back to the work that I was doing before, it's just a question of when, not if.
I have to be positive at this point in time, otherwise I will bog myself down in self-pity and that will the beginning of the end in my eyes!. [Linked Image]
The one thing I can't work out, is the fact that I am probably one of the fittest people of my age that I know, but go figure!. [Linked Image]

#138833 10/13/03 02:39 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Well,
I suppose I'd better change that profile back.
I have just had my first day back at work, in an Electrical Contracting sort of way.
Had a great day at work and even did some real work for a change.
But, I would just like to say to all at ECN, thanks so much for all the support over the time that I have been sort of bumming about my predicament, you guys know who you are, take a good bow!.
Thanks y'all!!. [Linked Image]
Kindest Regards,
Mike Trump. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard