ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#138785 09/28/03 06:25 PM
P
The blackout made the news bulletins here this evening, as you would expect.

Apparently, after the North American blackout the Italian prime minister appeared on TV to assure the citizens of Italy that such an event could never happen in their own country.

Never believe a politician, eh? [Linked Image]

#138786 09/28/03 09:42 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Ranger wrote:

But my first name is Ragnar (scandinavian name), many people think it is spelled Ragner (Okay, I hate them for it, but you can't do more than tell them)

Hehehe....looks like I'm in good company.

My name is Sven. Also Scandinavian. Blame my (Colombian) mom -- she was going to Uni in W. Germany at the time. [Linked Image]

People wind up pronouncing it:
Swen, Schwen, Swin, Seven, Seth (huh?), Schwinn (like the bike), ES-ben (Spanish speakers), Steve, even a few Zvis for good measure.

You should see the mangling my last name gets: While, Wheels, Well....

I've gotten used to it. What can you do? It's funny actually to see people stumble over themselves. Eventually I just give up and write it out for them. [Linked Image]

==

Back to topic. The latest reports I had heard was that France was blaming Switzerland. Switzerland is saying that it's Italy's fault. Hmm....

As one Italian contributor to the Usenet Newsgroup rec.antiques.radio+phono put it:

"Three fighting and no-one worried for my unfrozen meat. D***n!"

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 09-30-2003).]

#138787 09/28/03 09:55 PM
T
I wonder if all these incidents have something in common?

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

#138788 09/28/03 11:13 PM
R
TG: I had my mouse scrolled all the way to the right from reading Sven's post when I saw your picture of that goofy looking game! As soon as I saw it I thought to myself..."this must be Think_good". Thanks for all the laughs my friend.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#138789 09/29/03 09:47 AM
C
C-H Offline
Sven and Ragnar,

these are typical Swedish names. Always confuses me that you are not.

I never get anything spelled correctly, not even things like ID cards. I'm nicknamed C-H in the real world, and many will not know me by any other name.

Part of the problem is that my name is a double name (my mother is fond history and double names were apparently popular in the 18th century) Worse, my parents deliberately chose a mispelling of the name...

Instead of Clas-Henrik I get
Claes-Henrik, Klas-Henrik, Clashenrik, Claeshenric and so on. A dozen different version in all. Then there are four spellings of my last name. [Linked Image]

I long ago stopped caring how people spell my name.

#138790 09/29/03 10:16 AM
C
C-H Offline
Here is the initial technical report (in English, since the grid is international) on the Italian black out.
http://www.ucte.org/pdf/News/20030929-After-the-Italian-Black-out.pdf

Apparently, the reason for this blackout was a three that fell on a powerline in Switzerland. Just goes to show how little margin of error there is in the system.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 09-29-2003).]

#138791 09/29/03 11:35 AM
T
Ryan_J:
My pleasure. I try to keep things light. Sometimes, however, they can float away.

Speaking of names, there was an episode of Monty Python in which they discuss the least known composer in the world -- in fact, the greatest name in German Baroque music -- Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern schplenden schlitter crasscrenbon fried digger dingle dangle dongle dungle burstein von knacker thrasher apple banger horowitz ticolensic grander knotty spelltinkle grandlich grumblemeyer spelterwasser kurstlich himbleeisen bahnwagen gutenabend bitte ein nurnburger bratwustle gerspurten mitz weimache luber .....

Do these words actually mean anything?

(taking no chances ...)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-01-2003).]

#138792 09/29/03 06:35 PM
P
Apparently, the reason for this blackout was a three that fell on a powerline in Switzerland.
Was it followed by a four and a five? [Linked Image]
(Don't you just love those typos that come out like that? [Linked Image])

It really does say something about the state of the grids and the way they are run when a fault one one line takes out the power to almost an entire country.

Do these words actually mean anything?
Guten Abend = Good evening
Bitte = Please
von = of
ein = a / an / one

That's about all I can see, but my German is extremely limited!

#138793 09/29/03 07:30 PM
S
is it me or is there some sort of relation bettwen all these outages and deregulation??

( Milton Bradley knew.....)

btw~ betcha i could shout 'hey sparky' to anyone of you guys and you'd spin around
[Linked Image]

#138794 09/30/03 02:11 AM
W
According to news reports today, it seems that a tree fell taking out a vital link between France and Italy. Also seems that, as demand was low at the time (middle of the night on the weekend), Italy had little in the way of generating plants running. France, according to the story, has mostly nuke plants. Which need to operate full tilt all the time. So France exports the excess power during low demand periods, and Italy was absorbing most of it. The tree takes out one link, and then other links get overloaded. Those cut out, and Italy gets blacked out. Someone in Italy should have load shedded so the remaining links could keep most of Italy alive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard